AFI Cinematography applicants, students, alumni

Well I take that back. I just got the call from them and I have an interview in early March. I am very excited.

Congrats MATT!!!

I saw your website and quite obviously you earned it!

Hope you get in.

Waiting for a call myself...

I was wondering if you exactly had what you had submitted online?

Did you make a short reel out of all of those or did you send in segments?

And all you other lurkers... Fuel this thread!!!! with your thoughts, feelings, reels and sweet nothings!!!

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats MATT!!!

I saw your website and quite obviously you earned it!

Hope you get in.

Waiting for a call myself...

I was wondering if you exactly had what you had submitted online?

Did you make a short reel out of all of those or did you send in segments?

And all you other lurkers... Fuel this thread!!!! with your thoughts, feelings, reels and sweet nothings!!!

Thank you.

I used this commercial http://mattcfrank.com/videos/cancer-clinic and a recolor corrected version of http://mattcfrank.com/videos/5-conversations that feature. I have not had a chance to put the new color corrected version online yet. I thought it would be better to send in completed work, or at least large chunks of works rather than just cutting a beauty real together.

I hope you hear soon.

Edited by Matt Frank

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know when the interviews are over? I think they are over on the 8th ? Does that mean that we will hear the following week??

I just finished my interview with Stephen Lighthill and a former student and overall I think it went fairly well. It was a very informal conversation and the main questions they asked were what my inspirations are, how I intended to pay for AFI, and why AFI over other filmschools. The entire interview was around 20 minutes long.

On my way out I asked Stephen when we would know and he said by the end of the month.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So...who got in?

Yes who got in? This is my first post on Cinematography.com and I have enjoyed reading through this short AFI History of nervous and anxious applicants, and knowledgeable fellows. I have been sort of dreaming of AFI for a while now, and reading all these posts makes me pretty happy.

I have got to work with a few AFI Fellows in the recent past that have made lasting impressions on me: the fantastic Jayson Crothers, the amazing Joe Passarelli, and for 4 days the Miguel Bunster, who are all awesome and incedibly inspiring cinematographers. For the short time I have been in their presence, all of their teachings, personalities, and techniques have made a unforgettable impact on me as a aspiring d.p.

I just moved to Valencia CA from PHX last Sunday to finish my BA at CALARTS and to further realize my goal of being a professional D.P. I have what I thought to be 1 and 1/2 years left to finish the 4 year degree, But recently found out that I have 2 and 1/2 years to finish.... :(

Right now grad school seems sooooo far away! I just signed my fee bill for $18,371 for this semester alone. So by the time I graduate and start off in direction of grad school, the idea of paying another large amount seems impossible and insane right now. My student loans are already really scaring me.

I realize that this post is quite a bit off topic now, and please don’t be upset at me for it, i just felt like I needed to write something. I have an incredible feeling of optimistic anxiety driven hopelessness fueled by comprehendible confusion of my artistic and financial future.

If my journey as a D.P. through CALARTS turns out to be as fulfilling as I hope it will be, then maybe I’ll be reposting on this forum in a few years with an anxious and exciting post, corresponding the days waiting for that fateful phone call.

Thanks everyone for posting all of this, and for being so passionate. It’s so inspiring!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Colin Oh

Definitely. Hopefully we'll meet before classes start. Are you from LA?

Edited by Colin Oh

I got accepted for this year! Anyone else hear back?

Colin, I got accepted too. I´m going to visit the campus between 07.-13.04.2011. Are you from LA, maybe we could meet? And by the way, do you know a good place to stay?

Thanks and congratulations,

Ludwig

Guest Colin Oh

Colin, I got accepted too. I´m going to visit the campus between 07.-13.04.2011. Are you from LA, maybe we could meet? And by the way, do you know a good place to stay?

Thanks and congratulations,

Ludwig

Hey! That's awesome, congrats. I live in LA, now and we should definitely meet up. Not sure about places to stay though. I guess it depends on what area you want to be in.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Therealsv

So how likely would it be for me to get accepted to AFI or even interviewed for Cinematography program if I only DP'ed on project? I was waitlisted this year for the director discipline and my still get in for that but I am thinking of sending in app for cinematography progam. Thoughts? Am I kidding myself if I only have one film as DP under my belt?

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been giving AFI a lot of thought. I finished up my resume, and my narrative statement. I definitely am thinking about applying. I have been the director and cinematographer on everything I have ever done. So I am torn between the two at AFI. I know the directing admission deadline is already over. My big question to all of the AFI Alumni from the past 4 years is as a cinematographer, have you gotten steady business from studios? Also as a director, what have you gone on to accomplish? It is a huge deal to me to know this, as I am wanting to be on set working on major films. I currently own a advertising agency and have many documentaries, commercials, and a few narratives under my belt. Even films that went to film festivals and won awards. I am not satisfied with what I am doing and feel like I should be doing more. Is AFI worth it as a cinematographer? Is it more beneficial to apply as a Director? I'm just looking for advice before I make a huge step in my life.

Thanks for your time.

AFI was extremely helpful to me and it has more Academy Award winning cinematographers than any other school. However, if you think that you are going to be on studio films in just 4 years and you havent already had great successes and worked at budgets near studio numbers, then AFI or anything else for that matter can't help you and you will be extremely dissappointed. Its a process to get to do studio features and you have to work up to that. Its even a process within the studios to get to do bigger studio movies. There is usually a little bit of luck involved as well.

Most of the time the saying "10 years to overnight success" is true.

• 7 months later...

Would you advise trying to apply after a few years on set?

AFI was extremely helpful to me and it has more Academy Award winning cinematographers than any other school. However, if you think that you are going to be on studio films in just 4 years and you havent already had great successes and worked at budgets near studio numbers, then AFI or anything else for that matter can't help you and you will be extremely dissappointed. Its a process to get to do studio features and you have to work up to that. Its even a process within the studios to get to do bigger studio movies. There is usually a little bit of luck involved as well.

Most of the time the saying "10 years to overnight success" is true.