e6 processing

Pierre P Blais

I was wondering, how long can I keep unmixed e-6 chemical component from the single use kit before they lose their properties?

The kit yields 5L and that's a bit much for a single use, considering my lomo thank only uses 1.5 litres about, and I rarely process more then 200ft-400ft per 4 week period, if that. So I'd much rather mix smaller quantities of the solutions, when I need it.

thanks!

Pierre

• Premium Member

I was wondering, how long can I keep unmixed e-6 chemical component from the single use kit before they lose their properties?

The kit yields 5L and that's a bit much for a single use, considering my lomo thank only uses 1.5 litres about, and I rarely process more then 200ft-400ft per 4 week period, if that. So I'd much rather mix smaller quantities of the solutions, when I need it.

Firstly, I am assuming that it is an all liquid kit, partial mixing of powders is a problem.

Most of the liquid chems are packed with a shot of nitrogen in the top of the bottle to keep the air under control. It is exposure to the air taht causes problems. Many photographers will use small glass bottles and re-pack the remainder of stock solutions to exclude air

Firstly, I am assuming that it is an all liquid kit, partial mixing of powders is a problem.

Most of the liquid chems are packed with a shot of nitrogen in the top of the bottle to keep the air under control. It is exposure to the air taht causes problems. Many photographers will use small glass bottles and re-pack the remainder of stock solutions to exclude air

This is the liquid version i'm talking about yes.

That is good to know, I would not necessarily have thought about doing that, but since I have the glass bottles... now I will! thanks!

Chem stability depends greatly on storage conditions as well as how much oxygen it's exposed to. Storing them in air tight containers (you can also displace some of the oxygen in a partially full bottle with a bit of canned air or nitrogen) in a cool, dry environment will work better then a hot, humid environment.

That said, I've had better luck with my E6 chems than with the C41. The E6 has lasted months in partially full bottles where the C41 part C developer oxidized within weeks. :(