Super Grip! Ture or not true?

Rasmus Eriksson

Hey, worked with a guy today, who had worked with a guy who called himself and had the title "super grip".

And what he said was that there were some requirement you had to fulfill to take that title.

Exampel:

30 knots

Know pretty much 20 jib- arms & cranes inside out.

and so on.

To me this sounds like bullshit and just bragging. But also a bit cool if it were true, something to aim for.

Do anyone know anything about this?

And if its true know the exact requirement?

// RE

• 2 months later...

Boy if you refer to yourself as "Supergrip", you're setting yourself up for a hard fall. I've worked with some of the best and they would never stoop to calling themselves "super" anything.

Correct.

I think you were being Punk'd but I doubt "Kutch" came jumping out of the bushes to surprise you at wrap.

Do you get a Spandex outfit with a cape ?

Anyone who has time on their hands to memorize that much bullshit probably spends very little time on set.

In the 80's I saw a grip wearing Spandex bicycle shorts. Unfortunately, I cannpt shake that image. In order to be a SuperGrip, you have to pass the grip test which involves the removal of grip clips from your thumbs. I passed. The pain was so intense I figured it out in mili-seconds.

In the 80's I saw a grip wearing Spandex bicycle shorts. Unfortunately, I cannpt shake that image. In order to be a SuperGrip, you have to pass the grip test which involves the removal of grip clips from your thumbs. I passed. The pain was so intense I figured it out in mili-seconds.

I remember hearing of a key grip who wore gold lamay spandex bicycle shorts on set once during the 80's. The DP kicked him off the set. I met the guy at Fox Studios, English bloke. I can't remember his name though.

The only time I have called someone a "super grip" was as a sarcastic insult...

I remember the grip test! lol

There is a Irish mechanist in the touring festival world (mechanist in theatre = grip/carpenter in film) who does the cycling shorts thing.

Pretty out there in more ways than one.

To the OP:

What the 'eck are you going to do with 30 knots ?

Any super grip could get by with only what is required - taking a guess, maybe 10 knots would get you everywhere nicely. Sub-optimal but still usable-ish and safe I reckon maybe 5 knots. Anyway, this is all forgetting about what you're doing with the rest of the rope.