Documentary w/ ONLY existing Practicals

I'm going to be having to go to a country to film scenes for a documentary where I will not be able to take ANY lights only 5 in 1s, so I will be having to rely on existing practicals. I have one really, really large light source available for outdoor shots, just the indoor shots where I will have to shoot using existing practicals in the location I'm stuck with - with only an hour or two to fake it as best I can.

I'm not asking for a step by step (which would be ridiculous). What I am hoping to get is tricks that I may not have thought of, to get useable footage. I'm hoping some of you folks who are smarter than I am may have been in similar situations and figured out interesting ways to make the footage not suck.

A thousand thanks in advance...

Which country will you be filming in?

Bring a china ball with daylight photofloods and some incandescents with a stinger and paper tape. Hardly takes any space and this way at least you'll have a nice soft key for interviews. Use existing practicals for background and maybe even cheat some for rim light.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to bring any of that stuff in and will HAVE to rely on existing practicals and 5 in 1s. That's what makes the whole thing a bit difficult.

So those pop-up reflectors, in combination with fast glass and a FS100 (aka. queen of the darkness) are your best bet.

Frank

Edited by Frank Glencairn