Bolex SBM rex vfinder is white

Ken Moss

Hello everyone,

I just ended up getting a Bolex H16 SBM off of eBay.motor and all levers and gears runs smooth.

My concern is, when I.look into the reflex view finder all I see I a white blur

I do not have a lens for it yet, but was unsure if its one of the prisms or not.

Thanks

Ken,

If you don't have a lens for your camera, all you'll see is nothing but some light as you move around.

Look carefully and you should be able to focus the eyepiece and see the finely grained screen ( plus a fairly sharp edge frame ).

If you have any camera lenses to hand ( an SLR camera lens will do ), you can try holding it near the lens port to focus an image on the screen.

Do this using a tripod, and don't get too close ( ....to avoid damaging anything ).

John S

John, thanks for the reply. I will give that a shot. I do see "halos" when.looking through say, looking at a light bulb.

Im looking into buying a EOS to c-mount adapter for my existing EOS lenses and my m42 mount so I can use my super takumar on this. Could you recommend a good lens adapter and repair / cleanning shop?

Thanks

Ken

Ken, I've never seen an EOS to Bolex adapter but I'm sure you can have one made.

I don't know what country you're in but here in the UK, Les Bosher could probably make one at a price. ( I used to have a Nikon adapter when I had my SBM ).

http://www.lesbosher.co.uk/

One thing to remember using 35mm SLR lenses is focal lengths are way longer than for 16mm. You'll find it nearly impossible to get wide enough wide-angles, although telephotos are practical ( albeit slow f-stop wise ).

John S :rolleyes:

Ken,

If you don't have a lens for your camera, all you'll see is nothing but some light as you move around.

Look carefully and you should be able to focus the eyepiece and see the finely grained screen ( plus a fairly sharp edge frame ).

If you have any camera lenses to hand ( an SLR camera lens will do ), you can try holding it near the lens port to focus an image on the screen.

Do this using a tripod, and don't get too close ( ....to avoid damaging anything ).

John S

I held a lens up to the camera, and there is a picture! Luckily i only saw 2 little dirt speks in the reflex.

Thanks for the help.

SRB are the people for this

http://www.srb-griturn.com/c-mount--35mm-lens-adaptors-240-p.asp

unless you can do better on eBay.

Ah yes I forgot about SRB Mark, good call !

Ken, you'll need an EOS to Bolex bayonet adapter ( SBM is a bayonet mount body not C-mount )

and the Pentax lenses are excellent quality - though a bit long focal length wise.

John S

John, my camera came with a bayonet to c-mount . Mark, thank you for the link! I am converting this to S16, would that change the focal length any when using m42 or EOS lenses? And would it be better to get a m42 bayonet mount or just the adapter? Thanks

Ken

Edited by Ken Moss

John, my camera came with a bayonet to c-mount . Mark, thank you for the link! I am converting this to S16, would that change the focal length any when using m42 or EOS lenses? And would it be better to get a m42 bayonet mount or just the adapter? Thanks

Ken

Hi Ken,

You're going to need two adapters if you want to use both lens fittings ( M42 to Bolex bayonet ) and ( EOS to Bolex bayonet ).

Your 35mm lenses will easily cover 'super 16' and will be the same focal lengths and f-stops.

Don't forget, you'll be able to use extension tubes and bellows for extreme close-up work once you have the adapters and also accessories like 'Lens Babies'!

John S :rolleyes:

• Premium Member

Hi Ken. Be careful of using 35mm lenses on you S16. Generally, the rear exit pupil in 35mm still lenses is roughly twice the diameter of 16 or S16 lenses. So a lot more light floods the camera interior, especially wider lenses.

What sometimes happens in this case is that all that extra light reflects off interior camera areas that weren't designed to accept it. Somewhat like attaching a fire hose to a garden hose.

The result sometimes ends up looking like flicker or giant light flares. Safer to film-test in outside bright light before any major shoot.

Bernie.

Hi Ken. Be careful of using 35mm lenses on you S16. Generally, the rear exit pupil in 35mm still lenses is roughly twice the diameter of 16 or S16 lenses. So a lot more light floods the camera interior, especially wider lenses.

What sometimes happens in this case is that all that extra light reflects off interior camera areas that weren't designed to accept it. Somewhat like attaching a fire hose to a garden hose.

The result sometimes ends up looking like flicker or giant light flares. Safer to film-test in outside bright light before any major shoot.

Bernie.

Thanks for the helpful replies everyone, lots of knowledge on this forum!

Im now searching for RX, or Bolex specific lenses... I shoot this type of stuff, feature length, shorts that are primarily to be the 20's to the 50's mainly drive in style stuff. Can anyone suggest a good prime and zoom lens for this camera? This was shot and edited in 1 day for promo purposes with a t2i dslr. Thanks again.

Edited by Ken Moss

The best prime lens set for your SBM is the preset style lenses made by Kern/Switar. These are typically a 10mm, 26mm and 75mm. They also offered a 50mm prime. The only zooms made specifically for reflex Bolex's that cover Super 16 are the POE 16-100mm and the 12-120mm. These are also Switar brand. All of these lenses are excellent quality- even the earlier non-preset primes.

The best prime lens set for your SBM is the preset style lenses made by Kern/Switar. These are typically a 10mm, 26mm and 75mm. They also offered a 50mm prime. The only zooms made specifically for reflex Bolex's that cover Super 16 are the POE 16-100mm and the 12-120mm. These are also Switar brand. All of these lenses are excellent quality- even the earlier non-preset primes.

Chris,

i am trying to get my hands on a Switar preset RX 10mm 1.6 as we speak. I have heard of some people using canon FD lenses. Would these have the same framing ratio as the RX lenses?