Alan Gordon Director's viewfinder

Hi there,

I'm new to 35mm and just getting started.

I'm thinking about getting a Director's viewfinder to get a sense of framing.

Alan Gordon's seems like the most popular one

What is the difference between the Mark Vb and older models like Mark V or Mark IV?

and what other kind of viewfinders would anyone recommend?

Thanks a lot! I'd really appreciate any help!

Jerry

Hey Jerry,

I'' defiantly recommend getting the Alan Gordon Director's Viewfinder. As a student, I had mine for a while and I do find it useful.

I don't believe it's worth getting the Mark Vb over the IV. It's essentially the same housing, but the Mark Vb has a more extensive aspect ratio ring, in addition to a different barrel (I believe it has a Super16 setting, better zoom-range and barrel colors are different). I assure you it's not worth paying 400 dollars extra for the Mark Vb over the IV.

There are other good director's viewfinder such as the Tewe Director's Viewfinder, but honestly you can't beat Alan Gordon. More affordable alternatives includes Mini Director Viewfinder's (alan gordon makes one) or the Panavision app for iPhone.

One thing I'd recommend getting though is getting the wide-angle attachment. You can buy it off Alan Gordon directly and cost 125 dollars (or buy a viewfinder that comes with it). The wide-angle attachment can really make a difference in some situations (although you might not need as a start).

Best of Luck

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the information!

and how's the digital ones(iphone app) compared to the regular viewfinders?

I'm not a fan of digital stuff, and I'm assuming it's not as accurate as an optical Alan Gordon, but I do see people use it.

Thanks again

Jerry

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the information!

and how's the digital ones(iphone app) compared to the regular viewfinders?

I'm not a fan of digital stuff, and I'm assuming it's not as accurate as an optical Alan Gordon, but I do see people use it.

Thanks again

Jerry

Well the app basically works the same way as a regular director's viewfinder. I even believe it has better functionality and you can even take pictures to send out to producers or help create your storyboard. I'd say that the iPhone app is sufficient for most film students. I guess I'm playing old fashion with my Alan Gordon's viewfinder trying to look cool. Seriously though, its holding a smart phone versus looking through a tool of a professional filmmaker. It feels good in your hands and the zoom ring can be adjusted easily while you'r watching the scene. Also the fact that there is no abstraction between the location/set and what you'r seeing through the viewfinder allows your mind to focus merely on the framing of the shot, as opposed to seeing recorded imagery on an iPhone. At least that's how I feel about it!

Either way, have fun!

Edited by Ben Brahem Ziryab