Glam Music video lighting

Im shooting a Music video soon and need some advice. One of the songs (its a medley of songs) has a female singer that I would like to make look very glamorous. I'm not a fan of Niki Manaj, but I really like the lighting in her videos. I've attached a picture. The gear I have is 2 medium photo flex soft boxes. 2 Lowel tots light,, 1 omni, 1 lowel pro, 2 umbrellas, 2 1k red heads. Is there any way to active this look with that gear? Thanks for any tips!Allura-Tutorial-Nicki-Minaj-Super-Bass-Orig-Full-Face3.jpg

Edited by Matt Harris

• 2 weeks later...

You should easily be able to replicate that lighting with your gear. She's lit with a large soft source from above and straight in front of her. That gives her the nice highlights on her cheeks and nose. There's also some fill from below to help with the shadows. You can see all of that from the reflection of the sources in her eyes.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips. I haven't experimented with a single soft source in the center. It sounds like it would be flat looking but it doesn't look that way to me. There is some nice fall off on the edge of her cheeks.

Don't forget how how important a make-up artist is in glam looks on set.

Id say makeup is the most important part of a shoot like this. I unfortunately had an experience with a bad makeup artist on a glamour style shoot. While I feel the shots are good, I asked to have my name removed from the project because crappy makeup made the lead look ridiculous.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the tips. I haven't experimented with a single soft source in the center. It sounds like it would be flat looking but it doesn't look that way to me. There is some nice fall off on the edge of her cheeks.

Rule of thumb, flat, soft frontal source on female talent is often the most flattering as it minimizes shadows on the face. Male talent can be lit more "sidey" as emphasized harsher shadows can convey masculinity as it highlights facial features.

I'd light with one of your soft boxes you mentioned directly frontal and throw a 4x4 of 1/4 or 1/2 white diffusion in front of it. Flag the light if you'd like to increase fall off (depending on your background)

Oh and a good MUA is critical to have.

Another vote here for makeup being absolutely, positively critical.

Jon's suggestion of a soft source over the lens is a good one. 4X4 diffusion is also a good idea on top of that.

If you want to accentuate the cheek bones and/or elongate the face, bring in 4x4 black / negative fill directly to the sides of the talent, as close as possible (if in a wider, use 6x or 8x). If you want to reduce the shadow under the chin and/or bring out more color in the eyes, try a 4x8 or 4x4 bead board flat under their chest (as if they are right up against a table) and play with distance to taste.