Don't panic. Kodak looks to be keeping 100D

Jim Carlile

Before people start to panic about today's announcment on the Ektachrome discontinuations, please note that Kodak has not announced the end of 100D, or 5285. Just the 35mm slide films.

There's a difference now. They'd already gotten rid of still 100D a few years ago.

http://www.kodak.com/country/US/en/motion/products/reversal/5285faq.shtml

Until further notice I'm not worried. At least yet.

• Premium Member

Before people start to panic about today's announcment on the Ektachrome discontinuations, please note that Kodak has not announced the end of 100D, or 5285. Just the 35mm slide films.

There's a difference now. They'd already gotten rid of still 100D a few years ago.

We've seen this before with 64t, axed in the 35mm format kept in the super 8 format, then within a year 64t was history. E6 from kodak in the MP will be gone with 12 months or so, depending on the stock levels, only last year kodak made one last run of DS8 100d, i smelt a rat then !!!

Not so fast. 100D is the same basic formulation as the discontinued films.

If they get rid of one because of, quote, 'highly complex product formulation and manufacturing processes', it doesn't look good for the 100D.

Jim, you should be worried, 100D is the same coating as E100VS !

Kodak discontinuing Ektachrome will include all packaged formats from 8mm to 10"x8" ( including E-6 control strips which are made from E100G ).

It's a very sad day - all I use is Ektachrome ( in all formats )

John S :(

They say they're keeping E-6 chemicals in production but one wonders how you could run the process without control strips.

You’re absolutely right Mark, you can’t run a ‘quality’ film processing line without control strips.

I suspect we’ll have to start using Fuji’s. :unsure:

.....also, I believe Tetenal makes Kodak’s E-6 chemicals nowadays !

John S

Kodak announcement from today:

"Yesterday, Kodak announced the discontinuance of its three Kodak Professional EKTACHROME and ELITE Chrome Films. This news does not affect our ability to supply 5285 and 7285 color reversal motion picture film products to our customers. We continue to provide these films in 35mm, 16mm and S8 stocks with the same great quality and product support you’ve come to expect from the Kodak brand."

If you keep buying it they'll keep making it. They sell lots more movie reversal than slide film for sure. Eliminating color reversal from the Eastman catalog would also leave a big hole-- there's nothing to replace it with.

All this doom and gloom about 64T forgets one thing: they immediately replaced it with 100D! I'm not sure either that 5285 is the same as 100VS. I'd always heard it was EPP 100D.

Kodak can still justify coating one reversal stock for motion picture use, and which also can be ported over for 35mm slides without difficulty. But not three or four.

EKTACHROME 100 Plus (EPP)'s number code was 5005 until it was discontinued some years back now.

EKTACHROME E100VS was number-coded 5085.

EKTACHROME 100D (KCR) is still number-coded 5285 ;)

Plus there's a post by Kodak employee the late John Pytlak around here somewhere saying that 5285 was derived from 5085.

As to the doom and gloom about 64T... you're right, it was replaced by 100D. On the other hand, the situation matches (the parent still film was discontinued), and this time around there's no still film to step in and fill the gap.

I'll bet Kodak sells 500 times as much motion picture Ektachrome as slide film. Probably more. Slide film sales had declined so much that it was no longer worth the effort to package it. That's not true of MP.

If you buy it, they'll keep coating it. Has anyone asked Photo Engineer over at APUG what the status is in Rochester? He might know. He warned people years ago that they were down to coating Kodachrome like once a year.

Kodak is very supportive of their motion picture division. It's what's keeping them alive.

I just dont get this , so Kodak stop selling their reversal stocks .I cant remember the last time i used any of they range, Fuji have been producing so many better stocks for years so why are so many people worrying ?

I just dont get this , so Kodak stop selling their reversal stocks .I cant remember the last time i used any of they range, Fuji have been producing so many better stocks for years so why are so many people worrying ?

Fuji does not sell any reversal stocks in cine formats. E100D is the only option (aside from expensive Wittner stocks) for shooters wanting a projectable color image. This is especially important for people wanting to learn Super 8, or those that find an old 16mm camera and want to try it out without paying for telecine.

If Fuji can come up with 16mm and S-8 color reversal, E100D won't be as critical.

Fuji does not sell any reversal stocks in cine formats. E100D is the only option (aside from expensive Wittner stocks) for shooters wanting a projectable color image. This is especially important for people wanting to learn Super 8, or those that find an old 16mm camera and want to try it out without paying for telecine.

If Fuji can come up with 16mm and S-8 color reversal, E100D won't be as critical.

Fuji does not sell directly for 8 mm formats, but thanks to others like Wittner in Germany or Retro8 in Japan we can shoot on wonderful Fuji reversal stocks like Velvia or Astia, so nothing to worry about. Fuji reversal sotcks are far better than Kodak's.

Neither does Fuji sell negative filmstocks for 8 mm... and we do have all available through Pro8mm.

Anyway... Kodak reversal for cinema remains with us, so...