Gel vs Grid Cloth

So I was wondering if anyone knew the quality difference, if any, between gels like 216, 250, & 251 and "cloth" full grid, 1/2 grid, and 1/4 grid? Instead of spending a fortune on gels, I was thinking of getting 4x4 grid cloth which would be far more flexible in use than gels considering how I normally use diffusion. Just was wondering if there was a noticeable visual quality difference in the softness it produces.

• Premium Member

Matt;

There is a difference between each of those Gels and Grids. They are different opacity/densities and will effect light differently. For myself; I tend to use 216 and 251, for the most part, as well as 1/2 grid; but there are differences and a lot depends on how far the light is from subject as to how soft it appears (as well as what light you're even talking... as each takes away a different amount of light, though I'm not 100% on the stop loss for all of 'em)

Matt;

There is a difference between each of those Gels and Grids. They are different opacity/densities and will effect light differently. For myself; I tend to use 216 and 251, for the most part, as well as 1/2 grid; but there are differences and a lot depends on how far the light is from subject as to how soft it appears (as well as what light you're even talking... as each takes away a different amount of light, though I'm not 100% on the stop loss for all of 'em)

Umm I may have written my question poorly if I understand your response. I was wondering more about the quality difference between, let's say full grid and 216, or 1/2 grid and 250. I know the differences between 216, 250, and 251, just not sure how they compare when you match the gel's diffusion quality to the grid's diffusion quality.