Ext. Night Shoot with 250D/200T

I will be shooting a short in about a month, and one of the scenes is a night exterior. I wanted to use Kodak 250D/200T in order to have less grain, and the lights I will have available are Inkies, Tweenies, Babies, Soft 2Ks, Broad 1K, Lowell Lightomh Kits 1K, Kino Flo 4Bank.

I am wondering if these lights would be enough for a night ext with a 250D/200T stock. I am seriously considering doing Day for Night in order to use this stock, but that's a different beast.

This is essentially a lighting assignment for my Advanced Cinematography clas, but I am turning it into a short.

Thank you,

Miguel

Guest Stephen Murphy

I will be shooting a short in about a month, and one of the scenes is a night exterior. I wanted to use Kodak 250D/200T in order to have less grain, and the lights I will have available are Inkies, Tweenies, Babies, Soft 2Ks, Broad 1K, Lowell Lightomh Kits 1K, Kino Flo 4Bank.

I am wondering if these lights would be enough for a night ext with a 250D/200T stock. I am seriously considering doing Day for Night in order to use this stock, but that's a different beast.

This is essentially a lighting assignment for my Advanced Cinematography clas, but I am turning it into a short.

Thank you,

Miguel

Hi Miguel,

With that size lighting package I'd consider staging the night exteriors in front of an area thats reasonably well lit with existing street/shop lights and use the package you have to model your foreground and midground. If you shoot close to wide open you should be able to light a reasonable area of the foreground with your 2K's and model with the smaller units, while maintaing a nice balance with the existing street lights. If however you're working in a poorly lit area and you're trying to light for very wide shots then you'll need to add some larger units to your lighting package.