XL2 with PL to XL mount adapter

Guest Elendil87

Guest Elendil87

Hi, I posted earlier on another board, but I think this is perhaps this is the more proper place. Also I've got a different question this time. After a few days research, I've opted to go for an Arriflex PL to XL mount for the XL2, which I'm told allows for the use of most 35mm cine lenses on the XL2. Now, I'm trying to find a good and inexpensive zoom lens. Now, at visualproducts.com they have this Angenieux 35-140mm f3.5 lens with close focus marked at about five feet. I was wondering if this would be a good lens, since the price is so low, and what advantages and disadvantages I might gain from using it. I know this is a rather specific question, but if anyone knows Angenieux's zoom lens track record that's a start. Whether or not this is a fast lens, how many stops I'll lose with the adapter etc. all such information would be helpful. Also I was wondering if a focus ring is recommended for follow focus if I were to buy such a zoom lens. As well, since many zoom lenses I hear are very heavy, I suppose the adapter won't be able to support the lens on its own.

• 10 months later...

Hey,

Funny you should post this. My roomate and I are having a similar dilemma. Basically it is related to adapters for the xl1/xl2. The ef adapter multiplies the lens too much to make it a practical and feasable lens....7.2x multiplication? < Enough to magnify anything way too much for practicality. The PL mount seems to be the better bet for sure. 2.6x PL- only 100$ more expensive> less magnification and distortion... From our side we are going with the PL and renting lenses- easier on the pocket. Post back about your success with it

• Premium Member
Hey,

Funny you should post this. My roomate and I are having a similar dilemma. Basically it is related to adapters for the xl1/xl2. The ef adapter multiplies the lens too much to make it a practical and feasable lens....7.2x multiplication? < Enough to magnify anything way too much for practicality. The PL mount seems to be the better bet for sure. 2.6x PL- only 100$ more expensive> less magnification and distortion... From our side we are going with the PL and renting lenses- easier on the pocket. Post back about your success with it

The magnification will be the same with any adapter unless there is an intermediary ground glass to focus the image on such as a P&S Technik Mini35, Guerilla 35 or the Micro 35. Just getting a straight mounting adapter will not get you where you want to be.