punch drunk love

Louis

i have a question for anyone willing to answer. there's a scene in punch drunk love where adam sandler's character falls to the ground on his side, and the camera mimicks his movement in a POV shot. basically, the camera starts facing forward normally, then it slowly rotates sideways and hits the ground. the movement is very smooth and it looks pretty great, and i was just wondering if anyone knows how a shot like that is done. it was clearly not done handheld, because the motion was very smooth, and it stops very abruptly when it hits the ground. any speculation is more than welcome as well.

Sorry to piggyback onto your question but I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a meaning behind the occasional flares that occur in the film. iirc, there were five or six long horizontal blue flares at certain points. They were so blatant that I couldn't help but think they had a hidden meaning of some sort.

• Premium Member

You can get that type of movement with a 3-axis head. A "normal" head allows 2 axes of movement; pan & tilt. A 3-axis head allows for "roll" as well. There are manually operated heads such as those made by Weaver-Steadman, and motorized heads that are often mounted on cranes. Some heads allow a continuous 360 degrees of movement.

The blue flares are the type of lens flare you get with some anamorphic lenses. In Punch Drunk Love it was obviously a deliberate stylistic choice to include such flares, although the "meaning" is probably open to interpretation. For me I saw it as an impressionistic touch that helped suggest the way Adam's character felt overwhelmed by the chaotic world he was caught up in. The flares kind of visually intrude on the frame, and create a slight distraction and loss of visual "clarity" to the environment, giving the viewer a feeling similar to what the character is supposed to be experiencing. But that's just my interpretation.

You can get that type of movement with a 3-axis head. A "normal" head allows 2 axes of movement; pan & tilt. A 3-axis head allows for "roll" as well. There are manually operated heads such as those made by Weaver-Steadman, and motorized heads that are often mounted on cranes. Some heads allow a continuous 360 degrees of movement.

The blue flares are the type of lens flare you get with some anamorphic lenses. In Punch Drunk Love it was obviously a deliberate stylistic choice to include such flares, although the "meaning" is probably open to interpretation. For me I saw it as an impressionistic touch that helped suggest the way Adam's character felt overwhelmed by the chaotic world he was caught up in. The flares kind of visually intrude on the frame, and create a slight distraction and loss of visual "clarity" to the environment, giving the viewer a feeling similar to what the character is supposed to be experiencing. But that's just my interpretation.

that definitely answers part of it, but how would they make it look like the camera hit the ground? they'd have to boom down, and have the boom arm touch the ground at the end of the shot, and make it stop abuptly. can that all be done with a motorized head, and if so, wouldn't the motorized head be underneath the camera, and thus make it impossible for the camera to appear as if it is on the floor? i dunno, i probably sound ignorant right now.

• Premium Member
that definitely answers part of it, but how would they make it look like the camera hit the ground? they'd have to boom down, and have the boom arm touch the ground at the end of the shot, and make it stop abuptly.  can that all be done with a motorized head, and if so, wouldn't the motorized head be underneath the camera, and thus make it impossible for the camera to appear as if it is on the floor?  i dunno, i probably sound ignorant right now.

I only saw the movie once, so I don't remember that particular shot.

A three-axis head doesn't necessarily have to be under the camera; remote heads are often mounted "underslung" with the head actually above the camera. Some 3-axis heads have a kind of ring with the camera mounted in the middle.

For shots where the lens has to go to ground level, you either dig a hole for the camera or build up a false floor to the set, so the camera can go slightly below floor level.