BEAULIEU 4008 ZMII SPEED DIAL QUESTION

Giorgio Taricco

HI Guys,

i've just received a Beaulieu 4008 ZMII.

The camera is in beautiful conditions, everything works as it should, zoom, meter, motor etc..

The cell is very fast to response and I have a new battery for the camera but i have a little problem.

Reading the manual I think I need to set the film speed on the dial against the green dot (shooting outdoor film).

but my asa dial can't be rotate more than the 25 mark against the green dot if I try to go further to select the 50, 100 and higher speed it's blocked.

It can be rotate in the other way as well but no chance to set the 200 and 400 asa speed against the green dot.

What can be?

It's a fault or I'm missing something?

Thanks.

Giorgio

When you are filming, the image, when viewed through the viewer, should be flickering. This is because the shutter is alternating between (i) letting the image pass through to the film and (ii) being diverted to the viewer as the film is moved on to the next frame.

From what you say, it looks like the motor is turning, but the shutter is not working. You could try taking the lens off the camera and seeing if you can see movement of the shutter as you press the trigger on the camera.

When you were viewing the image through the viewfinder, I presume you could see a continuous image. If so, this suggests that there will be no images on your film. It will be black. If the shutter was stuck in the closed position, you would have seen a continuous image through the viewfinder, but if the shutter was stuck open, you would not have seen an image at all through the viewfinder, and that would have been obvious to you.

I am not sure of the internal drive system in the camera, but if it is belt driven, it could be that this is either slipping or has broken. Hopefully somebody will be able to help you more than I can.

Hi Robert, thanks for your advice.

I've tested the shutter, is running great and I can see the flickering in the viewfinder.

I was speaking about the viewfinder flickering indicator on the glass, it's like a little arrow moving vertically, I don't have it in my viefinder image, there is only the lower "U"-shaped space where the indicator is supposed to be.

The shuttter is working properly anyway.

Giorgio

Hi Robert, thanks for your advice.

I've tested the shutter, is running great and I can see the flickering in the viewfinder.

I was speaking about the viewfinder flickering indicator on the glass, it's like a little arrow moving vertically, I don't have it in my viefinder image, there is only the lower "U"-shaped space where the indicator is supposed to be.

The shuttter is working properly anyway.

Giorgio

Hello Gorgio.

I am sorry that I misunderstood what you were describing. I thought you were referring to the flickering of the whole of the image you see in the viewfinder. Yes, there is a small "U" shaped cut away at the bottom of the viewfinder image in the centre. The flickering within that "U" shape, according to the manual indicates that the film is moving when filming. The manual says that when that flickering stops it indicates that the whole of the film has run through the camera. So, if that appeared when you were filming and stopped when all of the film had run through, it seems to be the case that all is well.

In the U shaped opening you shall see a moving part going up and down when the film take up spool is turning and indicating film running.

If you don´t, your 4008 can be an early version where this parts have dropped into camera.

It seems that you might have more than the ASA knob trouble, in this camera.