Negative Fill

• Premium Member

Yes, we had a big discussion on it just a few months ago I think. Short answer is that it involves adding more contrast by using large black flags, etc. near the subject to reduce the amount of ambient light coming from one direction, like on a flat overcast day.

a gaffer I know had a funny story about a DP he worked with who insisted on creating "negative fill" by setting up a 5k or 10k and then stacking scrims, silks and singles and doubles in front of it until no light was making out the other end- :blink:

• Premium Member

Be sure to use Sheetrock brand, or gypsum board that has a white, or gray paper cover. Some gypsum board has a green paper cover which will give you a nasty green color cast.

I find that Homasote, with a thin outer coating of concrete is a nice lightweight alternative. I can use this with a Brute for neg fill if need be, but I shut it off every fifteen minutes.

Hope this helps!

• Premium Member
Be sure to use Sheetrock brand, or gypsum board that has a white, or gray paper cover. Some gypsum board has a green paper cover which will give you a nasty green color cast.

I find that Homasote, with a thin outer coating of concrete is a nice lightweight alternative. I can use this with a Brute for neg fill if need be, but I shut it off every fifteen minutes.

Hope this helps!

Of course, that assumes you use the board as a reflector, not a "diffuser".

Actually, what lightweight reflector materials are available that can stand the heat of a Brute, up-close and personal?

• Premium Member

Posted these before, in the other thread, but hey if Mr. King is willing to take the trouble, so should I :D

Negative fill to the left:

karsem006.JPG

The reverse of that same shot:

ian008.JPG

And the resulting image:

02_camera.jpg

In that other thread, I think I posted a more detailed explanation.

Kevin Zanit

• 3 months later...

Sorry to be a pain, but I'm very interested in learning more about negative fill myself - I've been searching around but have not been able to find the full length threads, just this one...

Anyone got any idea where they are?!

Cheers!