The Hunger Games

I'm curious as to how much of the forest scenes were artificial light vs. just the sun and bounces. Anyone opinions?

There were literally four or six people in the entire theater I was at on a Friday night...that place is gonna be closing soon...sad.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

I liked it, except for the incredibly irritating camerawork in the first 10 minutes.. I like handheld work, particularly when the camera is roving around, pulling out details and looks, but when the camera is active like that, the absolute last thing you should do is shake the camera. In the opening minutes, the camera never settled on anything long enough or still enough to see what I was supposed to be looking at. There was also an unacceptably high number of soft shots, I would imagine as a result of the 1st AC never being sure what the camera was pointing at.

It worked it the arena where the action was, but at the beginning the district is relatively undisturbed and going about their lives. I would've thought establishing her life at the beginning would've worked better if not shot so super erratic. Was this to signify the ever present threat of danger? I don't think it worked, or fit, with the music and action at all.

The first ten minutes almost lost me. I remember one particular shot of an old man eating a piece of chicken to the bone. It was punched in so close and shaky and everything else was quiet and relaxed, I could think of CHICKENNNNNNNNN CHICKEN!! What was the point of it?

Personally I think the shaky cam suited the particular scene at the beginning.

If you're aware of the camera, you're not paying attention to the story so what's the point? EVERYTHING in the frame should enhance the plot, characters and emotional qualities, otherwise it is a distraction and has no purpose in the film other than the film maker's ego-maniacal masturbation. HEY Look at me. Look How cool IIII am!! Isn't this a GREAT SHOT IIII DID THIS. It doesn't serve the story nor does it it enhance the movie going experience. You were never aware of David Lean's camera. Howard Hawks' camera, Stanley Kubrick's camera, John Ford's camera, Steven Spielberg's camera, Alfred Hitchcock's camera. Technique is never a substitute for talent. ;)

Edited by James Steven Beverly