Bell & Howell 70 viefinder question

Giorgio Taricco

HI Guys,

finally I have received my 70 HR but sadly it goes damaged in transit....

some scratches and the winding crank broken in two parts so now I need to find a spare key.I have noticed also that the viewfinder is not correctly alligned (not parallel) to the camera body.

Is it normal or It has been damaged too?

I put a pics of the finder.

Thanks for your help.

Giorgio

(the camera works great but I can't crank it at the moment)

post-54919-0-11685000-1332259907.jpg

• Premium Member

the winding crank broken in two parts so now I need to find a spare key.

I have noticed also that the viewfinder is not correctly alligned (not parallel) to the camera body.

Those winding cranks are made is several parts, perhaps it can be re-assembled.

As for the finder yes it is severely bent. Might be easiest to steal a door off a dead camera. or see if you can make a shipping claim

HI Guys,

finally I have received my 70 HR but sadly it goes damaged in transit....

I have noticed also that the viewfinder is not correctly alligned (not parallel) to the camera body.

Giorgio

Greetings Giorgio and Charles!

In regards to the finder turret, I don't think it's bent. Charles, you may have forgotten about the parallax correction on the eyepiece.

The picture you attached Giorgio is the position the finder turret would be in when the parallax adjustment on the eyepiece is set at 5 feet.

70HReyepieceparalax001.jpg

Rotate the large knurled ring around the eyepiece to infinity.....

70HReyepieceparalax002.jpg

and the finder turret should be parallel to the body. If it isn't, or you can't observe it moving when turning the ring, then yes, something is wrong with the finder. I attached a parts diagram of the finder for the 70HR.....

91208extension029.jpg

The HR is a better choice over the DR, in my opinion. The HR has a shutter stabilizer added to it which helps reduce flicker. This was added to the HR shutter to help reduce flicker when the HR was being driven by a 24 fps sync motor and using 400 ft loads.

Can you post a pic of your broken winding key?

Charlie

• Premium Member

The finder turret actually tilts in like that when you set the rear eyepiece for close focus - it's adjusting for parallax. If you set the dial for infinity the finder turret should straighten up.

Shame about the winder, but you see them on ebay from time to time, if you can't fix it. One for an Eyemo should also work. Or pick up a ratty old Filmo for parts - they often go for next to nothing.

Edit: seems Charlie answered at the same time!

Edited by Dom Jaeger

Thanks guys,

your help is fantastic!

You are correct about the viewfinder/parallaz correction, I've try and it's ok, no damage.

Also, there is something strange on the film compartement door, to open it I need to put the same force I need to open a truck bearing wheel... there is some other points of lubrification on the mechanism?

BTW: does anyone can send me the owners manual /service manual for the camera?

I love the 70 HR is a beauty.

Thanks

Giorgio

• Premium Member

You Know, I have used the filmo for some time but never noticed HOW FAR that cam moves the finder! My habit of to always set it at infinity after each use so I seldom see the front of the camera except with the parallax disengaged. Always amazed with the engineering on that camera!

AS far as the door the mechanism is all in the open with the door off. The diagram that was already posted shows the major parts. It does engage the body in several places. I have one parts camera where the door is a bit bent and that one will not lock in place on a body. Would not hurt to lube all the sliding places on the door with a small drop of oil and wipe it off the next day. Does the knob turn feely when the door is off the camera?

There is a military manual for the HR version. that will sometimes show up online.

HI Guys,

finally I have received my 70 HR

Hello again Giorgio!

In another post you were looking for an instruction manual for your HR. If you don't have one yet,

do you know the lubrication points for the HR? It is similar to the DR, but there are a couple more

oil points on the HR you should know about.

1st, there are the 5 basic oil points that cover all Filmo 70's. I copied the oiling instructions from the manual....

70HRLubrication001.jpg

70HRLubrication002.jpg

Your HR has a port for the hand crank or the motor drive shaft, so you need to oil there....

70HRLubrication003-1.jpg

Your HR should have the shutter stabilizer, so you need to oil it. This is often overlooked.

I usually put 1 drop, but maybe since your camera has been idle, you might put 2 drops the 1st time.

This is hidden under a lens on the lens turret.

70HRLubrication004-1.jpg

If you are adventurous, you can oil the shafts that the 2 sprockets sit on. Just be careful not to take the

sprockets off the shafts!! If the sprockets come off the shaft, you have to

re-time them. (I have the timing instructions if necessary)

Do 1 sprocket at a time. The sprocket my rise up slightly because of the spring.

70HRLubrication005.jpg

70HRLubrication006.jpg

Don't over oil! As Charles mentioned in his last post, let it sit overnight, this may help loosen the old oil.

As for the tight cover latches, you could take the cover off and the turn the latches back and forth many times to see if they loosen up. The cause of the stiffness lies under parts 22 and 23 where the 2 parts 21BB (in the box at the upper left of the parts diagram) go through the cast door. It gets corroded after time, needs to be cleaned and a light grease applied. These parts are "staked" together by the pins on part 20AA. Once you take them apart, you'll need new ones to make it stay together. You would most likely ruin parts 22 & 23 prying them apart. The service manual warns....

70HRLubrication007.jpg

70HRLubrication008.jpg

Did you get your winding Key fixed?

Charlie

Charlie, thanks so much for your post!!

I can't fix the key but I've found a good one.

Regarding the door opening problem I will try to see what I can do but seems that if the problem is what you say

I need to find some spare parts for the job and I think it will not so easy...

I have a manual for the camera but it's not complete, do you have a PDF full manual to email me?

I let you know my progress...

Ciao

Giorgio