Tips for shooting with a big body while skiing

Michael Nelson

A shoot that I am on wants to follow a group of paraplegics on their first time skiing. I am an avid skier and have shot photo and video with prosumer cameras (ex3 and z7u) on the slopes before but this time it is with a HDX900. I have been told 1-2 other shooters will be there, not on skis and audio will be wireless.

I am familiar with the camera, very comfortable on skis forward, backward and sideways and the beginners will be staying on beginner "green" runs. Just trying to filter out any obstacles I may not be considering here to anticipate them and prevent/ work around them before getting in any kind of jam.

Thanks!

Hi,

I do a lot of this work. I travel and film disabled athletes skiing, in both New Zealand and the USA.

You are lucky that they are first timers... you will be able to keep up!

I have followed with my PDW-700 - and it is fine to work with - just a bit limiting die to size and weight. Seeing the viewfinder is a challenge on all systems - and you are better off with a wide lens, knowing your framing, and watching around you for other skiers.

If you can convince production to go with a smaller camera, an EX3, is a great choice.

Best advice is to have a skiing assistant close to you at all times, primarily to hand off to between takes, and when standing in the lift line. You will be able to shoot better and for longer.

Have a look on my website under dock montage and 2nd Unit DP to see some examples.

Cheers,

Ben

www.ruff.co.nz