Lubezki / Sleep Hollow -- EYELIGHT

Hi Guys,

I know there have been a lot of questions on eye light's recently, so I apologize if this is partially redundant.

I was watching Sleepy Hollow and notice that Lubezki achieved these very luminous round catchlights in the eyes. I've heard that he was bouncing HMI's for a lot of this movie and using big soft sources, it seems like they would have to be walked in quiet closely to in order to get such a dramatic effect, no?

Anyone know about Lubezki's specific technique to achieving this?

thanks.

post-22620-0-67927800-1332339415.jpg

Hi,

Lubezki is known for using very big soft sources.

From the looks of your frame lift here, my guess is something like a 12x12 bounce, high and just to camera right of center. There is also a good chance that the shape of the light is thanks to a window on the set that they are lighting through, again with a big soft source. You could probably achieve a similar result with a smaller (in size) source closer to the actor, but the eyelight will be sharper. That soft effect in the eye is thanks to something physically big with a little more distance from the face.... maybe 15-20'.

Hi,

Lubezki is known for using very big soft sources.

From the looks of your frame lift here, my guess is something like a 12x12 bounce, high and just to camera right of center. There is also a good chance that the shape of the light is thanks to a window on the set that they are lighting through, again with a big soft source. You could probably achieve a similar result with a smaller (in size) source closer to the actor, but the eyelight will be sharper. That soft effect in the eye is thanks to something physically big with a little more distance from the face.... maybe 15-20'.

Thank you!