CP- GSMO circuit board

Guest Christopher Sheneman

I have a chance to purchase this camera and after doing some cursory internet research have discovered that this camera's "proprietary" circuit board can break or blow/ overheat- (mainly from this website archives).

Questions,questions..questions..

1. Whom can fix this and for how much? Can it be fixed in 2012? (I'm seeing a "Ian Love" name, AZ spectrum has a listing in their online catalogue, etc..)- can I fix this myself? Can I by-pass this or cool it down with a fan?

2. Is there a schematic I can view online to attempt to build my own DIY board?

3. Should I do anything at all? Are there any satisfied GSMO owners who have any advice?

Much appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I have a chance to purchase this camera and after doing some cursory internet research have discovered that this camera's "proprietary" circuit board can break or blow/ overheat- (mainly from this website archives).

Questions,questions..questions..

1. Whom can fix this and for how much? Can it be fixed in 2012? (I'm seeing a "Ian Love" name, AZ spectrum has a listing in their online catalogue, etc..)- can I fix this myself? Can I by-pass this or cool it down with a fan?

I never had this problem. More critical will be the replacement of the belts. I don't believe Ian Love still does any repairs. The good news is that AZ spectrum can fix all problems with all new electronics. Contact them.

2. Is there a schematic I can view online to attempt to build my own DIY board?

This is undoable IMHO since the electronics is very compactly build, almost smd like, and I do not know if there exist any documention of the details "inside". The good new is that AZ Spectrum can do this for you.

3. Should I do anything at all? Are there any satisfied GSMO owners who have any advice?

I am a satisfied GSMO owner but you don't wont to know all the problems that I had to solve. Consider you can buy an Aaton for about $1500 that can be serviced with no problems.

Much appreciated.

This is a late response, but anyway.. See my comments above.

I recently purchased (2) CP-GSMO and from a board member and love the style, weight and feel of these cameras. I'm a past Arri 16BL owner and these cameras are not only lighter but much quieter as well.

I do have a schematic of the circuit board (it's in the manual), I can put that online. Yes, the belts seem to be a big issue so far as wear-and-tear. I did contact Whitehouse about replacements and they said they should be offering belt kits soon (so excited).

It sounds like you've been through hell and back with the CP-GSMO? This is the perfect thread to talk about it!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I thought I'd dredge up this old topic.

Since I have a pair of Super 16 GSMO's one that still works and one that doesn't I am presently building a new motor control board based on the Tobin TXM-25. Clive Tobin is in semi-retirement and didn't want to tackle another big project so I am doing it with some input from him. Because the original Tobin board is so small the new GSMO board will fit right in place of the old board and use the same mounting holes, speed switch and most likely the original CP footage counter and mounting screws. I am a couple months away from a bolt in replacement but it is happenning, the prototype is now being assembled.

Also, If Ken @ Whitehouse doesn't have any magazine or shutter drive belts left then Stock Drive Products will have them. At some point I am going to start a new thread once I have the board to a presentable stage.

Mark Gulbrandsen

SLC, UT

I actually blew a board a few months ago, due to a short circuit and my stupidity.

AZ spectrum can repair it (As well as add a video tap). But if more people are able to make mods/ repairs then that would really settle my mind for the future.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Here is the GSMO schematic for the curious. It is not easily possible to duplicate it because of the PEC's* used, each of which contain multiple Integrated circuits. If one did built it out of discreet parts it would have to live in a separate box outside the camera. Clive Tobin is pretty much retired now and wasn't interested in getting involved in another design. But he sold me boards and schematics to one of his motors that I felt would drive the GSMO camera. Turns out that with some modifications to read the reflective CP tach sensor it does work fine. The Tobin circuit is very compact and the next stage is designing a new PCB that will allow the Tobin circuitry to fit in the same slot as the CP board did screw for screw. In addition I'll attempt to re-use the original CP footage counter if I can. It is just a simple decade counter. Tobin also uses a similar speed selector switch to what is already in the GSMO although the speed choice's are slightly different and that will require re-labeling... The Tobin board includes an overvoltage protection device which the original CP circuitry did not. It's still a ways off but I will get it done at some point this summer. I have two GSMO's myself and only one running. The Super 16 GSMO is the dead one and that one certainly needs to be running.

Mark

Edited by Mark Gulbrandsen

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

I haven't studied the schematic minutely, but it strikes new you could probably do most of that in a microcontroller the size of a fingernail these days. I'm sure there are concerns about interfacing to the mechanics and I'm always hesitant to trivialise this sort of project too much, but it seems doable.

P

• 11 months later...