Colour temperature

• Premium Member

No.

It is true that you can "change" the color temperature later on. However, the sensor has a native balance of about 5500K- daylight. By changing it, either in camera or in post, you are simply increasing or decreasing gain on the color channels-- though "in camera change" is a bit odd as it's really just meta-data at that point. For best results, it is suggested that you shoot @ 5600K with 5600K lighting, says me. (This is truest on the older "M" Chips, but also carries over to the MX line IMHO).

• Premium Member

Same. All silicon based sensors, as far as I know, are biased towards a daylight balance. White balancing any of them just changes the gains, though I'm not 100% on what "daylight" the Alexa is by default, but I'd suspect 5400~5800K with 5600K being the most likely.

No.

It is true that you can "change" the color temperature later on. However, the sensor has a native balance of about 5500K- daylight. By changing it, either in camera or in post, you are simply increasing or decreasing gain on the color channels-- though "in camera change" is a bit odd as it's really just meta-data at that point. For best results, it is suggested that you shoot @ 5600K with 5600K lighting, says me. (This is truest on the older "M" Chips, but also carries over to the MX line IMHO).

Thanks a lot.

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

Depends on how noisy the blue channel gets at the lower color temp settings. For the average dialogue scene, the noise level is fine at standard ISO at 3200K settings on cameras like the Alexa, F65, Epic, etc. I was fine with it even on the MX Red One. For blue screen work, you may want a cleaner blue channel so working closer to 5600K would help.