UltraPan8 film - "At Times I Meditate Nothing"

Nicholas Kovats

Inspired by Fred Jenne's wonderful Chocolate Inspirational Experience and the beautiful space/grounds of The Yoga House here in Toronto, Canada, i.e.

Camera used was Bolex UP8 camera# 1. Film stock is reversal Ektachrome 100D and Plus X. Lenses used were Som Berthiot Cinor P 25mm and Angenieux 5.9mm.

lovegrows.ca/

theyogahouse.ca/

• 2 weeks later...

very cool stuff. love to see an 8mm machine producing native "cinemascope". and when you consider deinterlacing a ntsc video camera (which i do a bit) that 8mm footage is pretty relevant! i still have an h8r4 id do this with. tore it down pretty far. built it back to 4:3. cant remember the hang-up but theres a lot to that conversion. if i remember you need a doner 16mm or vice versa. good stuff!

please tell me you have your frame server scripts nailed! thats really flippin nice looking!!! off a bolex h8 with no reg pins! if youd consider, id like to run that across my 8:3 screen at home. could i download?

very cool stuff. love to see an 8mm machine producing native "cinemascope". and when you consider deinterlacing a ntsc video camera (which i do a bit) that 8mm footage is pretty relevant! i still have an h8r4 id do this with. tore it down pretty far. built it back to 4:3. cant remember the hang-up but theres a lot to that conversion. if i remember you need a doner 16mm or vice versa. good stuff!

please tell me you have your frame server scripts nailed! thats really flippin nice looking!!! off a bolex h8 with no reg pins! if youd consider, id like to run that across my 8:3 screen at home. could i download?

Hi Steve,

Thank you.

If you log onto your Vimeo account you will see the download link under "About this video". What do you mean by your reference to "server scripts"?

sorry. i was in a rush when i typed that. i was referring to your post work. its a very clean video of your film. im assuming you did your own post work and might have hints from some of the scripts you may have written to handle the video file and clean it up a bit.

i do have a question about the format though. as i am still contemplating having it done. there are some distortions around your frame. they look a bit like reflection around the top, and fog around the bottom. i am curious if it is possible the edges of the gate were not painted with some anti-glare. or is it something more complicated you are working on?

ill log into vimeo and download your film for this weekend. i was trying to shoot an anamorphic video short for this weekends "movie night" at the house. no luck finding a good subject. so ill screen yours.

sorry. i was in a rush when i typed that. i was referring to your post work. its a very clean video of your film. im assuming you did your own post work and might have hints from some of the scripts you may have written to handle the video file and clean it up a bit.

i do have a question about the format though. as i am still contemplating having it done. there are some distortions around your frame. they look a bit like reflection around the top, and fog around the bottom. i am curious if it is possible the edges of the gate were not painted with some anti-glare. or is it something more complicated you are working on?

ill log into vimeo and download your film for this weekend. i was trying to shoot an anamorphic video short for this weekends "movie night" at the house. no luck finding a good subject. so ill screen yours.

Hi Steve,

I can respond to this. Yes, there are some reflections from the gate edges.

I've asked Nicholas to send the camera back to me for corrections but he's too busy shooting with it!

Please remember, this camera was the first prototype. We now have seven active cameras out there and much more experience with this format.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

Edited by Jean-Louis Seguin

Steve,

Confirmed as per Jean-Louis regarding the gate edge reflection.

No post productiion nor scripts were used in the final edit! Another clean transfer by bitworks.org. I am curous about Avisynth though.

A test DCP file has been projected 40ft across in a US based ommercial theatre and apparently it looked great. Your late model H8RX4 is an excellent starting point for conversion by the way. Let me know how the home screening goes.

And yes I am way too busy shooting UP8 to send the prototype in for examination. I am shipping another 200ft of E100D for scanning as of today. One of the reels is the debut of my Bolex UP8 Tobin Motorized Cavision shoulder pad system shot with the gorgeous 5.9mm Angenieux.

We now can convert Specto 500 8/16 projectors for UP8 projection. Single perf 16mm acetate stock can now be reperfed for the 1R-1497 UP8 format also.

We ae busy UP8 worker bees. :)

i do use avisynth as well as virtual dub adobe and many other programs to accomplish various tasks. avisynth is fast. it is NOT point and click. you dont appear to need it. thats a beautiful thing!

i will tell you this in its favor. i can successfully do 2 thing with it: 1 can successfully deinterlace ntsc. 2 i can scan on a flatbed pull the images. not have them perfectly frame aligned. adjust a deshaker script. and successfully have a stable image. neither of those two feats i feel are small for any program to tackle.

watched the vimeo download of your short film on the projection screen this weekend. id say the modification is a success. id get that gate blacked out before you shoot something your gonna need later. i watched it a few times on the computer. which of course doesnt compare to the projection screen. i dont really notice the feel of the "suspended" crystal on the computer. its really noticeable on the projection screen. and the footage held up really well projected to a 7ft width. which isnt a rather large screen. but its a small room. good stuff!