4k Sony NXCAM camcorder

Brian Drysdale

Well, i guess it was always on the cards that Sony would bring out something to rival the C300 and Scarlet, in both size and price point.

Actually, if you look on CVP's site it states £7200 (vat inclusive)!!! Cheaper than both.

Can't wait to see reviews of this. I wonder if the slow-mo will be 'budget slow-mo' and not quite up to standard. I can't quite see Sony putting all their latest technologies in 1 camera @ £7K thus risking the sales of all their other shoulder cameras. Yes, the NXCAM will be probably marketed at the Indie Filmmaker crowd (sorry, such a horrible turn of phrase!) but Sony have notoriously been very savvy not to bring out '1' camera that does everything.

The RED crowd are already pooh-poohing this camera as it's not yet fully 4K but for a camera at this price point it opens up a world of possibilities for both Seller & Buyer

I had a few days to play with the FS700 - gonna write a review on my blog and let you guys know what I think.

The slow-mo is a burst mode that writes to a buffer. The buffer than dumps the data - in full HD quality - to the card or external recorder.

It does not 4k in the moment, that comes with a future update. But the 11+ megapixel sensor downsamples the image to HD.

So it´s massive oversampling going on. The details, sharpness and overall quality is impressive.

My FS100 looks somehow SDish now ;-)

Frank

Here is my "First Hands-On" review on the SONY FS700

http://frankglencairn.wordpress.com/2012/04/05/first-hands-on-review-of-the-sony-fs700/

Why... why... why??

I just got my FS100 a month ago and really try not to be one of those gear lust guys... just reading this so far is killing me inside haha

Watching the clip later on my big screen to fully appreciate it.

Any hints from Sony on if the coming 4K will only work with their future recorder or do you think other companies will be able to jump on with it (4K and external recorders are still a bit outside of my range of knowledge, so may be a dumb question)

Don´t want to play the wise guy here, but buying a camera just before NAB is always a bad idea.

Even if there is nothing new or within your budget, chances are, that the prices on last years gear is going down after NAB.

The 4k update comes from Sony, no way around that.

If an other company can come up with a recorder, depends on the protocol they use.

4k raw over 3G-SDI is not trivial to implement.

• 3 months later...

I've had my 700 for about 2 weeks now and absolutely loving it. One question I'm trying to tackle is whether or not the 240 FPS recording is crippled in some way. I've had shots come back where it there is terrible fringing in highlight edges of high contrast scenes. I don't get the same effect on standard speed or even 60p footage. Any thoughts?

Also anyone have a set of handles for handheld that they love? I haven't found that perfect set yet. I've played with Zacuto but think the connection to the rails is kinda funky and cost is rather prohibitive. I've been using Berkey Systems baseplates on my FS-100 for the last year and a prototype Berkey System baseplate on the FS-700 for the last 2 weeks and want to stick with that build quality and price point.

Thanks!

Also anyone have a set of handles for handheld that they love? I haven't found that perfect set yet. I've played with Zacuto but think the connection to the rails is kinda funky and cost is rather prohibitive. I've been using Berkey Systems baseplates on my FS-100 for the last year and a prototype Berkey System baseplate on the FS-700 for the last 2 weeks and want to stick with that build quality and price point.

To stick with the Berkey quality, stick with Berkey stuff. I love it. Is it a different baseplate than their FS100 one?

I have that, a set of 12" rods (or 8?), threaded, and then a set of 6" (or 4? I don't remember). That, plus the versa weight, short handle set, and shoulder pad... makes for a decent rig. Just was too shortsighted to add a threaded block (http://www.berkeysystem.com/store/15-mm-series/accessory-mounting-blocks/) for the SmallHD arm. Right now I have it screwed into the handle mounting block, so not much flexibility there.