2000 fps extremely low angle (if not vertical) shot.

Hello everyone! First of thank you all for your input.

Anyway, I have a potentially tricky "gag" shot to achieve and decided to see what I can brainstorm up on here.

The director wants a 2000 fps shot of a foot touching the ground. The director wants to show how the heel touches the ground (as apparently the shoe has some type of advanced construction). The problem is, is that he wants it to basically be under the heel:a vertically-pointing upwards shot.

My thoughts are this, we will need to shoot the heel through some type of glass that is stable enough, and wont bend as 2000 fps will not be forgiving if the material we shoot with begins to bend.

Anyway, I have some ideas, but I thought i would just ask for any thoughts or ideas people may have. I would potentially need to light bellow the glass as well, but I do not want to have any glare from the glass, so this makes such a task quite the predicament.

Also, The phantom flex will be a problem as well, as it is rather large. Is there a way to shoot the camera through several mirrors? which brings even more reflection issues. Anyway, at this point I will try or have the crew build anything that is within the budget.

Any ideas? I've suggested just cheating the shot so it is on a sideways plane, but the director does not want this.

"Also, The phantom flex will be a problem as well, as it is rather large. Is there a way to shoot the camera through several mirrors? which brings even more reflection issues. Anyway, at this point I will try or have the crew build anything that is within the budget."

You could try to use a periscope lens and build an entry point in the glass for it, but what would this buy you? If you were going to end up building glass for the foot to step on to shoot through, is there a reason why you wouldn't want to build it big enough to accommodate the camera underneath it, too?

Another though is that you could put a low angle prism on a regular lens, and have the glass that the foot steps on at lens height. You could then have the low angle prism looking upwards through the glass- which could be flagged off with duve, with just the prism sticking through it. You could have your normal operating room, with just this little glass gag built in a fairly small, albeit raised, area. If you do the prism though, they naturally have very slight double imaging, so you'd have to really make an effort to flag off stray light from the glass, so as not to introduce any additional.

I can't help as far as suggesting a stable but non-flexible material. Sorry. Hope this helps somewhat.

• 3 months later...

I'd look at 1/2 thick Lexan. It doesn't bend very much and is strong enough for an actor to jump on. Remember that you don't just need space for the camera, you also need space in front of the lens so you don't end up to tight or get stuck with a fisheye lens.