Camera Rigs... any of you heard of...

mabou

Hi all,

I just found two different camera rigs that look very interesting and are suspiciously low priced. I'm curious if any of you have tried these....

They might not be top-of-the-line in comparison to the rigs that are (literally) 5 to 10 times the cost, but these might be excellent deals for the $$$

First off... anyone try Konova rigs? For $715 you get a full blown rig with what appears to be an excellent Matte Box and a full featured follow focus.....

http://konovaphoto.com/dslrkit03.html

The next is from an american company named x-factor1. Their rig has an interesting combination of features, especially for only $349.

http://www.xfactor1.com/xf1.html

Your thoughts?

Matt

Hi all,

I just found two different camera rigs that look very interesting and are suspiciously low priced. I'm curious if any of you have tried these....

They might not be top-of-the-line in comparison to the rigs that are (literally) 5 to 10 times the cost, but these might be excellent deals for the $$

First off... anyone try Konova rigs? For $715 you get a full blown rig with what appears to be an excellent Matte Box and a full featured follow focus.....

http://konovaphoto.com/dslrkit03.html

The next is from an american company named x-factor1. Their rig has an interesting combination of features, especially for only $349.

http://www.xfactor1.com/xf1.html

Your thoughts?

Matt

In my experience there is no one size fits all when it comes to this, and just like everything else you have to tune out the marketing and look straight at the specs. For many people those systems are perfect, and an equal number of others rue the day they walked on set and had to use them.

In essence, they all do the same thing: Place the camera somewhere more operator friendly. Which is great but again, it doesn't suite everyone. If you can test drive them that'd be best so you could solidly say "rig x is the one for me". I have an operator that shoots for me quite frequently that uses a neon orange PVC pipe rig. I hate the way it looks, I get nervous every time he busts it out in front of judgmental clients, until I see the footage. He's a great operator with an excellent eye for composition! The rig (although ugly as sin) doesn't make the shots. The operator does. So no rig is ever going to make your shots prettier, though aggressive marketing will tell you otherwise...

What I've experienced across the board is you get what you pay for. There are plenty of cheap rigs out there, the cheaper you go the more down time there will be due to setup and CONSTANT configuring.

My favorite is the ET Mantis, and I rent it whenever possible.

Happy Hunting rolleyes.gif

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Xfactor1 camera rig.

Hi

I happened upon this forum and fount interesting.

Im the owner of xfactor1.com

My name is Ray Pompa.

The market right now is very competitive. In our case we manufacture our own camera rigs.

Nothing is farmed out. We are located in San Dimas, Ca.

In my mind rigs are priced way too high due to labor and machining cost. The market is flooded with products from china ,India,korea,and so on. Our overhead is low and we keep a slim profit margin in order to compete. We should be charging a lot more for our product,but not being as well known we are providing a lot of features you don't normally see and a lower price to help introduce our selves.

We use our own products and developed them to be light and functional. And very well built.

We are continually improving our product and so far they have been well received by our customers.

Of course we don't put anything out without a guarantee.

This isn't meant to be an advertisement. I hope this addresses any questions our concerns about the company.

Thanks guys.

• 6 months later...

What I've experienced across the board is you get what you pay for. There are plenty of cheap rigs out there, the cheaper you go the more down time there will be due to setup and CONSTANT configuring.

Very accurate. I currently work with a cheapo rig that, while it holds up the camera, needs to be CONSTANTLY readjusted, tightened, swiveled, and maneuvered. It was not worth the savings - the time I've wasted with it would have paid for a better rig, so I would invest in the best you can at the start. If I had been able to use it before buying, I would have known.