Help... desperate girl in need of some cinematography instruction!

aubrey you were given some excellent advice by industry professionals on this forum and dvxuser.

i am afraid with your attitude you would be better off getting a job at burger king flipping burgers

than wasting your money trying to get into filmmaking.

cheers

Well, Ian, my attitude has changed. After a long talk with my professor he urged me to do the project the proper way and actually gave me two rolls of black and white film for free if I choose to shoot on film and not try my digital idea. It's not color though like I wanted but whatever. I'll shoot on film and see how it comes out.

I'm shooting this weekend. So will let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks.

Aubrey

THAT'S more like it. Plan out you shoot, stick to the plan and always keep how you're going to cut the footage together in the back of your mind so you don't waste any film. 2 rolls isn't much so you won't be able to shoot too many takes so I would also recommend you rehearse your talent and shoot cut-aways. Have fun. B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly

This seems like some sort of hilarious wind up, but from what I know and have shot on film, it's a fact that S8 is ridiculously cheap. 16mm is also cheap, it can be so cheap granted that you know what you're doing. But that's the key, you have to know what you're doing.

If you don't know what you're doing, then it's going to look like crap no matter how much money you pour into it. Money is not a limitation without talent. You can shoot 35mm Pana Millenium with Kodak 5219 to a 2K DCP but none of that will even matter. If you don't have people around you that know what they're doing, then it'll look even worse. You might as well be shooting on that consumer stills camera, cause none of it matters. And whatever film course you're doing and whether or not you pass or not is completely irrelevant, cause that's not what filmmaking is about. Some of the greatest filmmakers of all time never even went to film school. So by trying to pass some completely pointless assignment, you're only cheating yourself out of valuable practise that can potentially build you.

I don't know what kind of director you think that you'd be, but if you think extremely low-cost film is expensive and even more shockingly, a stressful matter, then I'd very much love to see how you'd handle the big budget world. I'm guessing that it'd drink you to an early grave.

Edited by Marcus Joseph

I don't know what kind of director you think that you'd be, but if you think extremely low-cost film is expensive and even more shockingly, a stressful matter, then I'd very much love to see how you'd handle the big budget world. I'm guessing that it'd drink you to an early grave.

Well, in her defense, it's a lot easier to shoot a film that's fully funded than one you're struggling to find the money. Finding the money is the HARDEST part of the film making process, so there is a lesson here for ANY student. B)

• Premium Member

I have been away from this board for a few years, I admit, but reading this thread as one of the first upon return made me blush in admiration for those who are still on here and devoted to supporting those who seek advice on professional cinematography, and shudder how this ethic blinded too many to just post a "don't feed the troll" alert that would have sprung up within minutes on other boards. :)

I mean, c'mon, I taught over the past years in academia, and saw alot of stunning things that would make a great film script, but all this is just surreal...

WHATEVER.

Aubrey

Well whatever. If most of you guys want to be haters that is fine. But for those who don't and want to contribute to making my project great please weigh in.

I let the smartest guy in class take me out for coffee this afternoon and I picked his brain on how to do this and he says it's not that hard and I should be okay. I showed him the YouTube vid and he wasn't impressed at all. He thought it was rather poorly done and I could do a lot better with an idea he gave me.

Aubrey

Well, that won't happen because I don't want to be a cinematographer. I'm going to be a director and I would be hiring you. Not the other way around.

Anyway, it's been a stressful day so I am going out with my girlfriends tonight and kick back for a bit.

But I'll check in on you boys when I get home tonight. Maybe you will have some more ideas that can help my project.

Aubrey

I have such a hangover. Yesterday's stress was too much and drank a bit to much last night and just rooled out of bed. Whatever. Trying to get it together this morning and get to class.

Whatever to the haters. I think I am going to listen to that guy I let take me out for coffee yesterday. I bet his idea will work.

Aubrey

• 7 months later...

I learned one thing, too: Read all the comments before you post reply.

when I first commented, I had read only one or two (angry) comments

and actually had no idea where the whole debate had been coming from.

This homework must be long closed by now, have we seen any result?

This thread is great. Would like to see the results.

Fwiw, I've seen a lot of successful people cheat in minor ways such as these and have no trouble. It's only when you're hurting someone else or misrepresenting yourself so far that you may not deliver to paying clients in the future that it's an issue.

Haha The thing that makes me angry is sloppy work, this isn't a film vs digital thing but film teaches people the discipline of shooting right the first time, and getting the images in camera instead of in post, I hate hearing "we'll fix it in post" half time you can't, this is what Digital is doing to Cinematography making every imbecile think they can shoot sloppy work.