sparks

Hi guys,

First thank you for reading this post.

I'm going to film a project where the main light is from a lighter in the total darkness :o

There are different scenes where the light will be created from the sparks of the flint only :huh:

To make everything more difficult is that the lighter has seen in the frame.

My question is:

how can I increase the light from the sparks especially in sync with them?

I was thinking to use a battery's car(shorting positive and negative pole together) but how can I sync lighter and it together?

Do anyone has a better idea?

All the best!

Michele

Hey, that is a difficult set up but I do not recommend using the battery method. That is pretty bad for the battery and can become dangerous, which obviously is not good to have on set. Something I thought you could do is have a low wattage bulb right off camera on a dimmer, when the flint is struck bring up the dimmer slightly then back down. You could put a piece of tape on the dimmer so that it does not get over a certain level of luminance. That will be important especially because you will have to do it quick. Also, you could use one of the LEDs that go on a key chain with the button on it, if the light is to harsh, just bounce it right off camera. Hope it helps.

Nick

Maybe using a photosensor on the dimmer...I'm thinking about this option.

Hey, it may be crazy but you could find a still photography strobe with a slave (photo sensor) on it. Although, I do not know if the spark from the lighter would be bright enough to trigger it, you could just dim it way down and diffuse it. That or fire it from the back from the test button. It would be quick but it may match the time length of the lighter. Hope it works out!

Nick