Help finding a DSLR for VIDEO?

Peter Cleverdon

Hello, I am 16 years old looking for a very high quality camera for video that is under $2,000. My only option is a DSLR camera (not a camcorder). My current leading contender is the Canon 7D but it is a few years old and I am concerned that it will soon be outdated. Will you all help me find the best DSLR for video if the 7D isn't at the current time?

Thank you

• Premium Member

I would wait to buy until you absolutely need to buy; as you're right the 7D is pretty old and should be replaced pretty soon.

You can learn the basics of putting a story together and shooting on a super cheap camera which shoots video.

Of course, if you NEED a camera NOW, and can pay it off; then 7D isn't too bad of an option... though honestly I'd try to save up for something a bit better.

With the way things are going, everything gets "outdated" quickly.

Do you have any lenses right now? If not, at least you have a clean slate as far as brands.

I picked up a D7000 for stills work and light video, plus the $200 50mm 1.8 lens and I've been happy with it. I paid about 1600 for that plus an extra battery and a SanDisk extreme pro 32gb card. I know the 7D has come down in price, but that same package ended up being more at the time.

Despite the camera getting "outdated" as new stuff comes out, it'll still do 1080p, which won't necessarily be going away any time soon. And I know some people who still shoot on tape and can make it look just as good.

And depending on what you're doing, maybe go with used (especially if only using it for video, don't necessarily have to worry about adding too many shutter clicks yourself on the total) and get a decent kit lens (although I'd recommend anything with a constant aperture, like one of the 50mm lenses), then spend the other money on some lights or audio.

Yes good points, but all DSLRs are made for special purposes and both the 7D and the D7000 were made for video. But all DSLRs have differences in video just the 1080p label does not make them close to similar. With DSLRs you get the "Jello Effect" so if you focus of a stick then move the camera back and forth the stick will appear to bend. This is just one of the many factors that you need to look for in DSLR cameras for video so I need to really look into all brands and models to find the best one. And to answer your questions I don't have any lenses yet but I prefer Canon because they are generally cheaper and better for video (Use eBay, every DSLR can be found like $500 off retail).

Thanks for your help so far, if any one has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated!

Many websites call the Panasonic Lumix GH2 the best video DSLR around. If you can live with the smaller sensor (focal lengths don´t mimic S35 as Canon´s APS-C sensors do), you will save quite a bit of money and get a more compact setup, including a DSLR-like `prism finder´ with a decent monitor, works esp. well in in bright sunlight.

Or you could buy a SONY NEX 5N (APS size sensor) together with an extra electronic finder (one of the best around) and have the most compact setup. Downside: no external microphone port on the camera, so sound will have to be taken with a separate device

Yes good points, but all DSLRs are made for special purposes and both the 7D and the D7000 were made for video. But all DSLRs have differences in video just the 1080p label does not make them close to similar. With DSLRs you get the "Jello Effect" so if you focus of a stick then move the camera back and forth the stick will appear to bend. This is just one of the many factors that you need to look for in DSLR cameras for video so I need to really look into all brands and models to find the best one. And to answer your questions I don't have any lenses yet but I prefer Canon because they are generally cheaper and better for video (Use eBay, every DSLR can be found like $500 off retail).

Thanks for your help so far, if any one has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated!

I'm confused. What are you asking then? You sound like you've done your research and should be able to anticipate what changes there will be in the future (assuming you've compared them against the MkIII, D800, Sony FS100/F3/FS700, C300, RED...)

(and just to be picky... the 7D and D7000 were not made for video. They're not camcorders. They just happen to do video.)