how to mix these 2 scenes into 1 and light it?

hi, guys.

1- imagine a scenario that mixes the par64 light grid of the upper photos with the green grass scenario below, all shot on studio. on a studio we won't be able to have a big amount of artificial grass, so the secret is control the split. i'm afraid the par64 grid kills it and reveals everything, so i thought about dimmer it a little down and use a large source above the grid, round shape, for the main light, like picture 4. what do you guys think?

2- take a close look at picture 3. my bet is: par64 grid for backlight and mainly for shot compose, hmi from left for strong backlight (watch his shadow projected) and upper diffused light. can you guys bet what is this upper large source?

6924356664_065328a048_b.jpg

thanks, guys!

• Premium Member

That hot edge could be from a tungsten light, it doesn't have to be an HMI -- with the desaturation it's hard to tell but a 9-light with a bunch of spot bulbs could give you a hot edge, or a 10K PAR, or a spotted-in 20K, whatever.

A bunch of PARCANS versus a large softbox with a skirt -- either way there is some soft spill to the sides, hopefully absorbed by the black you need to dress around the edges of the grass and the black cyc. The soft box looks a bit homemade, a diffusion frame with a black skirt attached.

That hot edge could be from a tungsten light, it doesn't have to be an HMI -- with the desaturation it's hard to tell but a 9-light with a bunch of spot bulbs could give you a hot edge, or a 10K PAR, or a spotted-in 20K, whatever.

A bunch of PARCANS versus a large softbox with a skirt -- either way there is some soft spill to the sides, hopefully absorbed by the black you need to dress around the edges of the grass and the black cyc. The soft box looks a bit homemade, a diffusion frame with a black skirt attached.

thanks A LOT, david!