Canon C 500 4K camera announced

Brian Drysdale

• Site Sponsor

so when do we start broadcasting 4K. Any ideas? In 2 years, maybe 4, 6, 8?

I really doubt that 4k broadcast will happen anytime soon, if ever. There are very few 4K projectors and no consumer 4K sets (lcd, plasma, oled) plus the feeds from cable, satellite and web are barely 1080 and heavily compressed. I would rather see a better looking 1080P broadcast with less compression than trying to compress the resolution of a 4K signal to fit down the broadcast pipe.

I think 4k has advantages when capturing (either digital capture or film scans) in that it avoids aliasing when being scaled down and 4K for theatrical presentation is important due to the size of the screen. In the home the difference between a 1080p / 2K screen and a 4k screen won't be allot unless the size of the home projector is larger than the typical 120" or less a home theater shows.

-Rob-

• 4 weeks later...

In your opinion, a C500 at that price range is really worth it? Compared to what a RED Scarlet offers, for example.

They are distinct acquisition tools. One allows faster frame rates at 4K resolution, the other doesn't. If you want some other comparison, do it with the right capture device on RED side, the EPIC camera.

• Premium Member

A C500 is cheaper than an Epic and in conjunction with something like an Aja Ki Pro Quad would offer a direct-to-ProRes workflow, which is a big convenience over the cumbersome Red approach - I think that's the biggest thing about it. We don't really know what the pictures are like other than that it should logically look like a rather sharper, somewhat noisier C300, and the C300 has really excellent pictures.

P

A C500 is cheaper than an Epic and in conjunction with something like an Aja Ki Pro Quad would offer a direct-to-ProRes workflow, which is a big convenience over the cumbersome Red approach - I think that's the biggest thing about it. We don't really know what the pictures are like other than that it should logically look like a rather sharper, somewhat noisier C300, and the C300 has really excellent pictures.

P

Indeed. Jim would have to re-invent the DSMC concept in order to face the competition price-wise, as well, the high sensitivity of Canon's sensor.

Here is some C500 footage coming from:

https://vimeo.com/39823568

More here by Dante Ariola (director) from hands of Jeff Cronenweth, ASC (shooting Hitchcock as of today):

http://cinemaeos.usa.canon.com/media-gallery.php

You have both in this link: "Man and Beast" and BTS.

Edited by Emanuel A Guedes

• 2 weeks later...