Shotgun Mics

Peter Cleverdon

I am looking for the best on camera shotgun microphone that will also function on a boom pool and is under $300. I am leading in the direction of one of the Rode VideoMics. I don't think the cheap Audio-Technica/Azden mics are good quality, please give me suggestions.

• Premium Member

Sennheiser MKH-416's are the standard of the industry. I own one and it's the only shotgun I've ever listened to that sounds like a good quality cardiod or supercardiod mike. It doesn't have that metallic sound that every other shotgun I've auditioned had, including other Senneisers. Admittedly they cost a lot more than than $300 but you'll never have to buy another shotgun, you'll have started with the best.

You will need a 48 volt phantom mike power supply for it if you're using it directly on a camera, not plugged into a professional mixer with a built-in phantom supply.

Guest Christopher Sheneman

School I went to used both Audio Technica AT897's and the ME-66. I liked the AT's more, I thought they sounded better and we're definately more robust, had a battrey slip.. I remember smacking a tree, wall, railing, ceiling etc..more than once (or trying to some fine girl's attention on a set).

If you can stretch to the Rode NTG-3, you won't be disappointed. The sound quality is very close to the more expensive Sennheiser 416 and a lot better then the similar priced Sennheiser ME66/K6.

Its worth paying a bit extra for a mic as its something that's going to give good service for years, its a lifetime investment.