Aliasing problem

Tim Hodgson

Hey guys,

I'm new here and just hoping to get some advice please :)

We're shooting a student film, but all our test shoots are experiencing major problems on my 5d mk2 with aliasing. The short film's whole story relies on the use of patterns and the seeing of patterns. We're finding that the 5d2 isn't able to capture a fair amount of the patterned costumes, buildings, paintings etc because of the aliasing effect we're getting.

Was hoping to find out if there are options out there with video filters that can help us get rid of the aliasing? or if we have to look at hiring out a better camera.

What would be a good suggestion on cameras that aren't too much more expensive then DLRS's but that will negate our problem?

Thanks for your time,

Tim

• Premium Member

You're going to need a better camera. All DSLRs are very bad with ailising, as are digital cameras in general (some are far better than others).

Not knowing how fine detail you want to get, I would honestly look into something more akin to a RED/Epic/Scarlet at best, or at least as mentioned the FS100u from Sony (or the F3).

I know they are more expensive to rent than a 5d; but if you have a movie about patters and texture you really have to have a good capture system to spare you the problems of aliasing/moire.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your replies!

We did a test shoot on the Red Scarlett but ended up not being able to afford it :( So we ended up shooting on the 5D3, and looking back on the rushes we can't see any problems :)

• 4 months later...