im currently writting athesis at university about the rise of digital in film, and wonderd does anybody know what the first film shot on digital was and what camera it was filmed on. im after full digital not dv recording etc. thankyou for any help or refferences it would help me so much.

i meant not video or dv so a camera that goes straight to hard drive, external drive or memory cards if any one knows but thanks these will still be great for my middle area

You can have digital video tape, it can record the same codec as hard drives etc. I assume you mean a camera that records RAW, because all the other digital cameras record a "video" format be it recorded on tape or a hard drive etc.

I think the first production camera that recorded just data was probably the Thonpson Viper.

Edited by Brian Drysdale

Cool ermm i guess the first video tape film in digital format and the first film recorded to memory card or hard drive

Here's list of major digital feature films. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_major_films_shot_in_digital

I suspect it's not comprehensive and I expect there will be low budget films that aren't mentioned. Google is a wonderful thing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Recording digital to tape using a video codec predates most ability or desire to record directly to hard drives as data. All your early examples would have been recorded to Digital Betacam and DV tape in the early 1990's. I can't think of any features recorded directly to computers other than for some efx shots in "Star Wars: Attack of the Clones" around 2000-2001.

Then you'd have the feature "Russian Ark" (2002), also shot on the Sony F900, recorded to a backpack hard drive as one 100 minute continuous take.

Then there might be an early Thomson Viper project recorded in film stream mode to data recorder -- "Zodiac" (2007) is probably the first major studio film to be shot digitally and recorded entirely without tape media.