Storage

Brent Stevenson

• Premium Member

Freezer for longer term. Normally over 6 months or so. Also make sure the film cans weren't opened else you can get ice crystals. The point is to slow down the chemical reactions the film undergoes naturally "fogging up," essentially building up a small level of exposure over time, making blacks muddy and not really black (and effecting film speed).

it's always best to use the freshest stock possible, of course, but nothing wrong with squirreling some extra away you have had for later use. Also keep in mind, the faster the film, the more crucial it is that it is stored properly. I almost always keep 500T in the freezer, as well as 250 T or D, 200 and under I keep it in my fridge. Next to the beer.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

From my knowledge, unexposed stock can be stored in freezer below -180C for ANY length of time. That's what I've been told on film school by professors. It's because every chemical processes are so slowed, that you can assume, they've already stopped. And once taken out, stock can be used as fresh one.

Personally, I store every unexposed stock (both fresh and recans) in freezer, then when I want to use it, I move it to fridge for about a day (12 hours are enough ;) )

Exposed stock I store in fridge, till I can get it developed. Sometime it's been a while (like a month) and I can't see really a difference (in HD telecine).

That's my workflow and I've never had any problems :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

Hi guys,

From my knowledge, unexposed stock can be stored in freezer below -180C for ANY length of time.

I have a couple of hundred feet of 5222 that I loaded into still cassettes back when it was new around 1986. It how develops with Very grey edges, and and needs a higher contrast Mulltigrade filter to print. (an option that is not available for movies)

The higher speed the film, the more it fogs even in the freezer. For caparison I finished off a few rolls of Plus-x still film from the same era two yaers ago, and it was fine. The roll of 4X loaded at the same time I found was not printable.

• 1 year later...

As Fuji stocks are running thin - does anyone know how true this statement is?

From my knowledge, unexposed stock can be stored in freezer below -180C for ANY length of time.

I'm thinking of getting more stock for a future project (perhaps 2-3 years from now).

What's everyone's opinion on long term storage?

• Premium Member

The higher speed the film, the more it fogs even in the freezer. For caparison I finished off a few rolls of Plus-x still film from the same era two yaers ago, and it was fine. The roll of 4X loaded at the same time I found was not printable.

If that the freezer/refrigerator's fault or simply the nature of higher speed film? Are you saying that freezing accelerated the process or could it have an extended a relatively short life anyway?

Here's another question, does film stored in a freezer/refrigerator put out any harmful chemicals into the air that would be bad for any food also stored there? In other words, do I need a completely separate fridge for film? Don't want to poison anyone...

Thanks Will!

I was looking at either 64D or 160T... Do you think the 160T would be fine for a few years?

In it's own freezer of course :-)

Hopefully my dozen 500T's for my current project (shooting in 6 months) will last in the freezer...

Here's another question, does film stored in a freezer/refrigerator put out any harmful chemicals into the air that would be bad for any food also stored there? In other words, do I need a completely separate fridge for film? Don't want to poison anyone...

No. Even so it ought to be in taped cans (and a bag to protect it from beer accidents and bleeding steaks).

• Premium Member

Just had Visual Products work over my S16 SR2 that had lived in India for a few years. Most of the screws were rusted. They replaced all the screws and gave it a little love bringing it back to fighting shape. So moist conditions are not good for film cameras but regular maintenance can help fix that.

If you are talking long term storage, watch out for foam cases as they tend to disintegrate over the years. Maybe put the equipment in a plastic bag with some of those silica gels THEN into the case instead of just placing in a foam case bare. I spent many hours cleaning up a lens from an Arri 2C that had been left in a foam case that became a gummy mess.

• Premium Member

If that the freezer/refrigerator's fault or simply the nature of higher speed film? Are you saying that freezing accelerated the process or could it have an extended a relatively short life anyway?

Freezing extends the life of film. (assuming that the film is factory sealed, and the data sheet allows storage at that low temperature. apparently some films don't like to be frozen)

BUT the higher speed films tend to be affected by things like Cosmic Rays, and so they will fog over time no mater what the temperature.

as far as the safety of film, my understanding is at is almost edible. You want to seal the cans to keep the mosture out, and to rpotect from condensation. I like to use Ziplock style bags to add an extra layer of protection. That should keep things under control until out open the can in the dark and inhale the WONDERFUL AROMA - Fresh Film!

That should keep things under control until out open the can in the dark and inhale the WONDERFUL AROMA - Fresh Film!

My wife rolls her eyes at me every time I open a new pack of Super 8 or can of daylight 16mm and take a big whiff with a smile... like an addict.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

What about storing in a zip lock back with one of those silica gel packs to keep moisture down?

Actually, would those be good for processed film & long term storage? Seems like it might be a way to keep things dry.

Does anyone have links to articles best practices on long-term film storage? Talking processed film...