Reverse engineering an EDL and Keycode database

Eugene Lehnert

Has anyone had to create an EDL and a database with keycode from an offline tape with window burn-in? I have a client who has nothing but their window burn-in for their film. They now want to scan the film and create a DCP.

I have done some tests in Final Cut Pro by exporting every shot as it's own clip. I then bring the media back into Final Cut Pro into a new timeline. I alter the timecodes of the clips to match the film source's timecode and then I add the dissolves and speed changes to shots that need it. In Cinema Tools I started a database creating a new entry for every shot I exported: "shot01", "shot02" etc... I am able to export an ALE and Pull List now. So this all seems to work but is there an easier way to do this? I was thinking of bring files in Excel and logging it all that way. I found scene detection software for Final Cut Pro so that will help. I tried to media manage a cut project to create the new media but since all the clips come from one Quicktime file Final Cut Pro does not break the clips up so I'm left exporting each shot manually.

I need the keycode because their film flats are not in their original boxes so I have no idea what timecodes the film flats should be started at. So I'm trying to get as much information as I can into these databases and EDLs.

Thanks!