Sony FS700 Available for Pre-Order Now

Tim Tyler

Pre-order at B&H now!

sony-fs700-preorder.png

(If you order from this link, cinematography.com gets a few $$!)

Product Highlights

• 4K Exmor Super 35mm CMOS Sensor
  • Capture 1920 x 1080/60p Video
  • NXCAM Recording Format (AVCHD)
  • LCD 3.5" Screen with VF Attachment
  • Up to 960 fps Super Slow Motion
  • ISO 500 (0 dB) to ISO 16,000 (30 dB)
  • Dual XLR, HDMI & 3G/HD-SDI Connectivity
  • FMU Port Supports Optional Memory
  • Future 4K Upgrade (Not Included)

• 2 weeks later...

I am considering on getting this one, but i own Canon lenses and not sure if its worth to get the Sony lenses.. Have anybody tried an EF adapter on Sony's camera?

I have a nikon and a PL adapter. Both dumb adapters, but works for me. I don't like using still lenses though just because the ring to adjust aperture has no markings (can't really) and has too short of a throw. And I hate using still lenses for pulling focus and what-not. But I have one anyway just because I have a bunch of Nikon lenses I'd like to be able to use if needed. /endminirantonstilllenses

Just make sure you spend a little money on an adapter if you're going to be using Canon lenses though. You want to make sure it'll hold up and is free of leaks and all that.

If you do switch to Sony lenses, at least you'll have stabilization and all the control that goes with it. There's a metabones adapter for Canon that a lot of people use and seems to work well, and that does transfer some [no AF] functions over.

http://www.metabones.com/product/sony-nex

Edited by Travis Gray

I have a nikon and a PL adapter. Both dumb adapters, but works for me. I don't like using still lenses though just because the ring to adjust aperture has no markings (can't really) and has too short of a throw. And I hate using still lenses for pulling focus and what-not. But I have one anyway just because I have a bunch of Nikon lenses I'd like to be able to use if needed. /endminirantonstilllenses

Just make sure you spend a little money on an adapter if you're going to be using Canon lenses though. You want to make sure it'll hold up and is free of leaks and all that.

If you do switch to Sony lenses, at least you'll have stabilization and all the control that goes with it. There's a metabones adapter for Canon that a lot of people use and seems to work well, and that does transfer some [no AF] functions over.

http://www.metabones.com/product/sony-nex

Thanks Travis

Because i am more photographer for now than videographer, that's why i am aiming on still lenses rather than Sony Lenses, not like i am making a fortune with what i am doing, hence i give priority to photography, obviously if things go well i'd rather get the Sony lenses to avoid problem.

What about the focusing, seems that adapter has the electronic contact, the focusing is fast or there are some problem with the motor?

What about the focusing, seems that adapter has the electronic contact, the focusing is fast or there are some problem with the motor?

Looks like there's no AF, so, it would be all by hand. I haven't had experience with it myself, but I've never been a fan of AF on video stuff anyway. And then you just have to be careful with the focus ring too just because on still lenses, the rotation is so short that it's easy to throw yourself out of focus easily, especially when shooting pretty open. It would make sense to get a follow focus with an adapter ring and adjust the ratio for it to have a little more control.

...unless the FS700 is able to AF with the adapter. I do only speak for the FS100 right now, but I'm assuming they may be similar.

Edited by Travis Gray