In LA

Phil Rhodes

"Oh, yeah, and how come if the US has such strict immigration policies, none of the cleaners here could tell me where the bathroom was? "Sorr, no speek eenglish.""

Oddly enough you would get the exact same response from any of the staff at the Toronto airport. Heck, that's the response you would get from any "Canadian" member of parliament!!

Richard

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We bascially have no immigration policy. It's all words, not action.

It works like this:

You say you're here on vacation, then you never leave.

Simple as that.

I've known lots of 'em, including a Canadian roommate who was an illegal, worked as a paramedic, (got grants here and loans he defaulted on for the training), and claimed 9 dependents on his taxes (he was single and childless), and a good friend of mine who was an illegal from Germany, who told me that they didn't do anything to him, because he got a business license to have his own business, thereby looking like he would be employing Americans, but he was his only employee.

He's been here about 17 years so far.

Anyway, if you're staying by the LaBrea Tar Pits, you gotta go see them, and the Page Museum next door (that houses all the bones they've pulled out of the tar pits over the years).

Ya can't miss it; there's a gigantic fibreglass Mastadon stuck in the pit!

Can't believe nobody even mentioned it!

There are still "mini-tar pits" around the grassy area next to the museum, so if you're lucky, you can get sucked into one, then rescued, so you'll have a great "guess what I did in America" story to tell people when you get back home!

Matt Pacini

P.S. It's been raining like mad, so you just may feel right at home.

It's not ALWAYS sunny here...

Anyway, if you're staying by the LaBrea Tar Pits, you gotta go see them
Don't go on Tuesday. It's free admission, which means school outings day. Watch out for big yellow buses parked ALL THE WAY ROUND the block. That's a clue. 4,000 LA primary school kids in one musem is a dangerous thing. (I won't make that mistake next time I go!)

"I've known lots of 'em, including a Canadian roommate who was an illegal,"

I went to film school in the USA, all the Americans I met thought Canada was a part of the USA, so how can there be an illegal Canadian? :D

Richard

"... all the Americans I met thought Canada was a part of the USA..."n?  :D

Richard

ALL of them you met?

Wow, care to share how you've managed to read people's minds, or are you just making assumptions that we're all ignorant?

I've lived here for 47 years, and I've never heard anyone say that.

Perhaps it was just your fellow film school students that think that way, eh?

Matt Pacini

Oh relax it's just a joke.

I didn't have to read people's minds, I would tell an American I was from Canada and they would honestly think Canada was another state. Sorry if that offends you but it's the truth.

We have a comedy show in Canada called, "Talking To Americans," I suggest you DON'T watch it if you ever come here :D

Basically a comedian walks up to Americans on the street in various cities and asks people questions like, "How do you feel about Canada joining North America?" Typical responses would include Americans being opposed or unsure of the idea. People here think that's funny, again it's just a joke. In another episode he asked Americans how they feel about Canadians putting their elderly people on ice flows and sending them off to die. Of course people in the USA where shocked that such a practice exists in Canada. Again, a joke.

But hey even the great George W. Bush is not imune, shortly after his election as president the same comedian mentioned above went to a press conference and asked Bush if he was looking forward to meeting Canadian Prime Minister Jean Poutine. Bush responded that he was anxious to meet Jean Poutine, even though Jean Poutine does not exist.

Canada is not exactly a country that really shows up on the American radar, why should we?

I had to study quite a bit of US history and geography in the Canadian school system grades 1-12. I don't think Americans study Canadian history in school do they?

Most Canadians are familiar with people like George Washington, but would the average American know his Canadian equivalent?

Richard

PS: I almost forgot the US post office is pretty sure Canada is part of the USA. Send a letter to Canada using only the province and postal code, and use only domestic USA postage, 9/10 times the US post office will send the letter through with no additional postage needed. Now, send a letter to the same address and add "Canada" to the address, now the post office will send the letter back for additional postage. This is how I get checks sent to me from US clients, my address gives only my province and postal code, so the US post office will send the check to me with only domestic postage.

• Premium Member

Hi,

> Most Canadians are familiar with people like George Washington, but would the average American

> know his Canadian equivalent?

The Canadian sitting next to me said "There is none, he was a slave owner!"

Phil

He he he, that is true about GW. And Thomas Jefferson but we won't go there.

I meant his Canadian equivalent in terms of being the first leader of a new nation.

Richard

BTW Phil,

You might want to consider just staying in LA and pursuing your film career there.

After all CNN is reporting that there are now 10 million illegals in the USA.

CNN Article

What's one extra Englishman? You'll be quite old by the time they get around to deporting you. By then you will have made so much money they won't be able to touch you.

Ok now all I have to do is sit back and watch the barrage of criticism from upset Americans, because I am encouraging Phil to break the immigration "laws." Relax.

Richard

Guest Tim van der Linden

So is there some sort of organized meeting happening? Because I'd love to meet some of the people from these boards if there is; I should be around. My email should be in my profile, or, better yet, just post in on the boards for all to see!

• Premium Member

Do you have anytime during the day or morning? Maybe we can meet separately. My nights are booked this week with various things.

The Farmer's Market / The Grove is a good place to meet in general for the mid-city area. Plenty of parking, good food, and one can hang out at the Barnes & Noble or the Apple Store... The Farmer's Market is the old section from the 1940's, full of interesting little shops to eat at. The Grove is the attached brand-new shopping mall but has fewer eating options and is more upscale.

The Farmer's Market is a bit of a maze; probably the best place to meet at before heading elsewhere would be something like in front of Bob's Donuts at the east end, or the little Starbucks at the west end, the one between Kokomo's and Dupar's. Or in front of Dupar's at the exterior corner, next to the 3rd and Fairfax intersection.

If you can't find parking in the exterior lot surrounding the Farmer's Market, there's a lot more parking in The Grove's multi-story lot.

Hi,

If someone can suggest a place to meet ("the grove" keeps coming up, if that's specific enough), would 7ish tomorrow (Wednesday) work for everyone?

Phil

• Premium Member

Hi,

Looks like I may end up being here over the weekend anyway, but I feel like a pain in the neck to keep changing things around...

Need feedback from people. What do we want to do?!

Phil

• Premium Member

This may be redundant, I just received an e-mail from Phil.

Seems like everyone can agree on meeting at the Grove in LA.

All we need now is a day and a time that is convenient to everyone.

My suggestion would be to try to make it an evening if the group is going to meet during the week. I know Phil is busy working during the day. If you guys decide to meet on the weekend I'm sure that will be more flexible.

I'll be in and out of the office this week but will try to check in here if there's any info I can pass along.

My email: BTotolo@Eentertainment.com

Guest Tim van der Linden

I can do the weekend, this weeks a bit tricky for me and I'm sick as a dog as well. However, I don't believe I have anything going on Thursday or Friday night. Not that anyone really cares :D

• Premium Member

FWIW, it's supposed to rain on Thursday, which can make the open-air environment less than ideal for a group. From Friday on it's supposed to be nice weather.

My time has pretty much opened up for the remainder of the week, except for a social engagement late Saturday.

How does Friday evening sound? Maybe early, so those with other Friday night plans can still attend?

Someone take a picture of him.  I have it on good authority that he's a tall guy with blonde hair and looks as if he might just as well say "Hey, dude!" as "Cheerio!"

That's actually the image in my memory of Phil.

I may fly to Chicago on Friday, if that doesn't happen the weekend should be good for me.

• Premium Member
Someone take a picture of him.  I have it on good authority that he's a tall guy with blonde hair and looks as if he might just as well say "Hey, dude!" as "Cheerio!"

I actually have a picture of him, me, and Bill T. taken last time Phil was here. I was going to post it, but I never got around to asking the others for their permission first.

If we can get a larger group this time it would be good to post some photos.

• Premium Member

Hi,

Looks like the weekend's better for everyone, as it is for me. Saturday? Lunch? Evening?

And recognition is not generally a problem. I am generally the tallest, skinniest, ugliest person around.

Phil

Edited by Phil Rhodes