Mr. Goi

• Premium Member

I was fresh out of college and worked as a PA on anything I could here in Chicago. I got a call from a small production company for a job first thing the next morning - 4:30am call I was there, still dark.

When I found the place, there were a couple guys telling me all that needs to be loaded in the van and I started right up. I packed the elevator, and hustled gear to the van (it was a small job).

Then this tiny dude showed up and saw me struggling to lift one of the light cases in the van. It was dark, but from what I could see, he looked really young. He ran, RAN, to help me. Then he hustled much faster than me to load gear from the elevator to the van. Then he took trips with me on the elevator loading gear.

I thought he was a junior PA, and I really appreciated his hustle.

On the shoot he was directing the set-ups and the lighting. I was shocked this guy was actually the DP and from then on it was clear he was way, way, way, overqualified to be shooting such a stupid corporate job. I mean, we were shooting beta SP and the stuff looked really good.

Talking to him on our drives between locations, I noticed he referred to a few very famous cinematographers by their first names. Then after more talk, I learned he was a working DP in LA and was back to Chicago as a favor to his producer/friend. I was so impressed at his humble and thankful attitude, for a man of his stature.

Much later, I got my copy of American Cinematographer, and there was an article with Michael Goi and one of the movies we had spoken about in our drives between locations. I was blown away when I saw his picture, cause that was the guy! The guy that I randomly got this job with who turned out to be really friendly and personable and hard working, then turned out to be much more than that…

Then he was President? The same guy that hustled gear with me at four in the morning???

I was very humbled by that experience, and I thought I should mention it now that he is stepping down.

• Premium Member

I was shocked this guy was actually the DP and from then on it was clear he was way, way, way, overqualified to be shooting such a stupid corporate job. I mean, we were shooting beta SP and the stuff looked really good.

Actually, 25 year old betacam sp format does look shockingly good when shot with a quality camera and lit well, especially if one views the component signal. Corporate work is not to be taken lightly, you do a good job, they call you back, you do a crappy job, they don't.

I had the pleasure of having Mr. Goi as instructor at a workshop in Maine a few years ago (Visual Storytelling, in 2006). It was a life-changing experience for me (literally), partly because it happened at the right time in my life, but also because of the things he taught and the way he did that. His love for cinematography, storytelling and teaching was truly inspiring. It was great to read his editorials in American Cinematographer during his presidency, and even though I'm sure the next president will be just as good, I'll miss the guy.