The Avengers

I noticed in the Technical Details on IMDB that a 5D and 7D were used on Avengers in addition to the Alexa and Arriflex.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0848228/technical

I'm wondering if anyone here could explain what role the 5D and 7D would serve in a high budget movie like this. Are there certain types of shots or situations where they would be the best choice over the high-end cinema cameras? And what sort of lenses would most likely be used?

Thanks!

• Premium Member

I noticed in the Technical Details on IMDB that a 5D and 7D were used on Avengers in addition to the Alexa and Arriflex.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0848228/technical

I'm wondering if anyone here could explain what role the 5D and 7D would serve in a high budget movie like this. Are there certain types of shots or situations where they would be the best choice over the high-end cinema cameras? And what sort of lenses would most likely be used?

Thanks!

I'm sure nothing visually important was shot with those little cameras -- either they get used in a crash-cam situation for a brief action shot of a few seconds, or they get used to shoot elements that will be reduced and stuck into a composited efx shot, or they get used to shoot elements that get used on TV and computer monitors in scenes, etc. All that the A.C. article says was that the DSLR's were employed during the big action climax, usually in crash housings or given to stunt men for brief bits of footage. The 5D would have used still camera lenses since it has a FF35 sensor, but as for the 7D, it probably depended on whether the lens was in danger or not, they would probably use the cheaper still camera lenses if there was a chance of the camera getting banged up, or if the focus-pulling requirements were minimal.