Aaton Service

Magnus Hraunberg

Heya,

I just found out that Ice film no longer are agents for Aaton ant that apparently there is no Aaton agency anymore in London, UK. Is that true? Means I have to get my Aaton serviced in France or something.

Anyone here on this forum who has a suggestion where in London I could get an Aaton serviced?

By the way how often should you send film cameras for service?

At Ice film they told me that there was too little demand and that I was the first in over two months calling them regarding Aaton.

Dark days for film :(

Plus Deluxe in Soho no longer develops 16mm. Technicolor are the only ones left in London. It doesn't make any sence because majority of films are still being shot on film and whst I've heard is that it's never been a better time to shoot on film becsuese of the stock & DI we have.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Find a skilled technician who knows those cameras well and make friends with them directly. I would start by finding out who did the work at/for Ice and see if they are still interested.

If you can have always the same good technician you will save money on servicing.

Opinins on the forum will vary on what the servicing requirements and costs are. I read somewhere that every 5 years the scintered aluminum bearings should be re impregnated with oil using vacum method. I talked to a tech in Australia recently who services a lot of Aatons and (he said) there are LTRs that have never had that bearing treatment in their whole life and are still going no problem.

Cheers,

Gregg.

I recently acquired an Aaton LTR54 and immediately looked around for somebody in the UK who could service it.

I found "http://www.camera-engineering.com" who are based in Somerset and service and repair Aaton cameras. I made contact and found the initial contact to be friendly and helpful. I am presently making arrangements for my camera to go in for service in about three weeks time.

...Anyone here on this forum who has a suggestion where in London I could get an Aaton serviced?

Not in London, but I've been happy with the work Les Bosher in South Wales has done for me on my Eclair, might be worth getting in touch about Aaton as well.

...Plus Deluxe in Soho no longer develops 16mm. Technicolor are the only ones left in London. It doesn't make any sence because majority of films are still being shot on film and whst I've heard is that it's never been a better time to shoot on film becsuese of the stock & DI we have.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

As for 16mm developing, it seems the guys originally behind "iLab" are in the process of setting up again as "i-Dailies". Their website is advertising "all format film processing and Spirit transfers...". Best of luck to them :)

I found "http://www.camera-engineering.com" who are based in Somerset and service and repair Aaton cameras. I made contact and found the initial contact to be friendly and helpful.

Allan Giles was an engineer with ICE years ago before starting Camera Engineering. He serviced my Aaton for a number of year, he also used to have a range of accessories that he rented out.

At the very least, sent the camera for a lubrication every 2 years, the lub does tend to run out of the bearings. If it's a camera that's new to you best get a service. Any camera I was using nearly everyday was serviced every six months.

Edited by Brian Drysdale

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...