ACL/CA-1/Arri-B adaptor

Gregg MacPherson

I'm familiar with the ACL to Arri bayonet (TS/Arri-B) lens mounts. I have the type that I see in the manuals. The lens turns a few degrees untill the positive lock engages. It has a release button.

I just bought another mount cheap on ebay. Turns out it is an ACL to Cameflex mount with an Arri-b adaptor fitted to the Cameflex port (TS/CA-1/Arri-B). The Arri adaptor feels like it doesn't want to move. If this mount is used I think one might just check the flange focal distance and leave it alone.

This Arri adaptor has no positive lock mehanism. The lens is turned maybe only a couple of degrees till it's wedged in tight. Feels like it should turn more. Does anyone use one of these adaptors? How many degrees roughly do your lenses turn before they feel tight?

Cheers,

Gregg.

Gregg,

I have the adapter-within-adapter setup you describe. The rotation for the lens to feel tight is about noon to 2 o'clock.

My Arri adapter is also very snug in place. I have to put the mount on the camera to remove the Arri adapter, but since I have no CA-mount lenses I just leave the two adapters together all the time.

Daniel

Gregg,

I have the adapter-within-adapter setup you describe. The rotation for the lens to feel tight is about noon to 2 o'clock..........

Daniel

Hey Daniel,

My rotation to lock is about from 12 noon 'till 1 oclock if it's lucky. Maybe 20 degrees. I think there may be a bur on the edge of the chanel that the little Arri B wing fits into.

Cheers,

Gregg.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Daniel,

My rotation to lock is about from 12 noon 'till 1 oclock if it's lucky. Maybe 20 degrees. I think there may be a bur on the edge of the chanel that the little Arri B wing fits into.

Cheers,

Gregg.

Hi Gregg,

These adapters were designed for the NPR and the Caméflex, which didn't have the optional mounts of the ACL. They're not as good, but should be fine nevertheless.

Check the mating surfaces on the lens seat and on the adapter front : that's what's critical for FFD.

As for the lens seating, if it's tight, with no play, you're good.

If you only have one Arri B mount, you could also leave the adapter on the lend (some have set screws in them to fasten them to the Arri B mount) ans treat the lens as a CA mount lens.

Cheers,

B.

Hi Gregg,

These adapters were designed for the NPR and the Caméflex, which didn't have the optional mounts of the ACL. They're not as good, but should be fine nevertheless.

Check the mating surfaces on the lens seat and on the adapter front : that's what's critical for FFD.

As for the lens seating, if it's tight, with no play, you're good.

If you only have one Arri B mount, you could also leave the adapter on the lend (some have set screws in them to fasten them to the Arri B mount) ans treat the lens as a CA mount lens.

Cheers,

B.

Hey Boris,

I got this one really cheap from the asherphoto guy in Israel. I thought I might put it with my old ACL I that I plan to sell locally in New Zealand soon.

The Arri-B adapter feels jamed in fairly tight. If the FFD is good like that I will probably leave it.

Cheers, Gregg.