Cinematography Reel (16mm, DSLR)

• 2 months later...

This is my latest Cinematography Reel. I would really appreciate it if anyone could give me some constructive criticism. Thanks.

http://vimeo.com/41508950

Nice the 16mm stuff looks great. Really like the black and white parts. Some shots definitely have their own style, kind of like a grind house movie or 1970’s flick. Vanishing Point came to mind. The bits in the supermarkets and the guy serving food especially have a certain appealing quality.

If I had one criticism, it would to be not to include that shot of the guy smoking a cigarette near the beginning of your reel. I see this all the time in show reels and it brings down the rest of the work (not yours specifically just in general). I guess the reason why people use the cigarette in shots is because it is an easy to acquire prop and it says something about the character. However, it has become so overused that it is a cliche.

Sorry for my rant. I really like the work and good luck in your future endeavours! Arre you working on anything currently?

• 2 weeks later...

Great Reel ! Very strong shots and atmospheres ! The only shots you might want to think about taking out maybe are the popcorn, and the stuff in the theatre. Also it feels like you are coming back to the supermarket a bit too often. Overall fantastic stuff though !