Get Focus on RED

• Premium Member

What is the best way to get focus on the RED? Measuring, or focus overlay, or focus assist? Or another option?

If everything is set up then measuring, fowever Back Focus is adjustable so looking 1:1 just to confirm when you do your tests is a good idea.

When I pull focus I use all the tools that are available. I typically do everything by measurements and I try to confirm my marks using 1:1 Focus Assist. If the camera is back focused properly, then you should have no problem getting accurate focus marks by using distances only. I normally stay away from using a monitor on most set ups, especially dolly moves. Having a full HD option is nice on to glance at to make sure your sharp and especially useful some of the longer focal length stuff if you throw on a peaking option.

Some useful info to be aware of when shooting with Red Epic:

http://www.theblackandblue.com/2012/05/01/shooting-red-epic-5/

Thanks for sharing that post Freya!

To follow up with everyone else, measuring for focus is best because once you're armed with the distances you can compensate for actors missing marks, the camera missing marks, or any sort of unexpected actions much more quickly. You can do that while pulling off of a monitor, too, but you run a greater risk of losing where in the shot your focal plane is (in terms of depth). Just be sure that you check your backfocus during camera prep to make sure measurements will be spot on. Using 1:1 to confirm your measurements isn't a bad idea either, like Justin mentioned.

As a bonus, measuring will also build your focus pulling skills and make them camera-independent since you won't rely on the tools any particular camera has to help.

Thanks for sharing that post Freya!

To follow up with everyone else, measuring for focus is best because once you're armed with the distances you can compensate for actors missing marks, the camera missing marks, or any sort of unexpected actions much more quickly. You can do that while pulling off of a monitor, too, but you run a greater risk of losing where in the shot your focal plane is (in terms of depth). Just be sure that you check your backfocus during camera prep to make sure measurements will be spot on. Using 1:1 to confirm your measurements isn't a bad idea either, like Justin mentioned.

As a bonus, measuring will also build your focus pulling skills and make them camera-independent since you won't rely on the tools any particular camera has to help.

Great advice, very true for working with any camera. Thanks for the help.