Varispeed on Red One

Paul Tackett

Do you have to format the harddrive on a red in order to get a high frame rate and aspect ratio? Example: I want to shoot at 120 fps but this is only available at 2k ana or lower, do I have to format the harddrive before shooting thus making it a scheduling issue because of the amount of harddrives we have?

• Premium Member

Do you have to format the harddrive on a red in order to get a high frame rate and aspect ratio? Example: I want to shoot at 120 fps but this is only available at 2k ana or lower, do I have to format the harddrive before shooting thus making it a scheduling issue because of the amount of harddrives we have?

No you don't, just record it's only a file!

• Premium Member

No you don't, just record it's only a file!

Strictly speaking, for speed-critical applications it's generally beneficial to first do a full re-format of a drive rather than just deleting unwanted files. That way, the recording uses contiguous sectors, minimizing the seek time of the read-write heads. If you have any other files on the disc, the drive has to waste precious time avoiding the "committed" sectors. That might be what Paul is thinking of.

With video editing software, you can often improve the speed performance considerably by installing a dedicated hard disc to temporarily store the project files, and regularly re-formatting it, or at the very least de-fragmenting it.