VISION 3 200 & 500 IN SINGLE-8 FOR FIRST TIME

ignacio benedeti

Many thanks, Matt and Geoff. The reolad of single-8 cartridges with super-8 film is easy: a Spaniard friend, E. Pflugger, do this for me, with an special machine built with a little Fuji P2 camera that he bought for only 1 € . The lip sync sound was recorded with an stereo Sony walkman. CINEcerely, Ignacio

Beautiful color saturation and skin tone renditions, Ignacio! What software did you use to color grade the negative?

And sync sound! Are you sending a reference 1000Hz tone to your Walkman Pro?

You are the consummate practitioner of the legendary ZC1000. Bravo!

My favorite thing about the sound (apart from the near perfect synk!) is that the character of the analogue tape really compliments the look of small format film!

I find it really strange that so many people shooting super8 choose to pair it up with perfectly mastered high bit rate digital audio which seems completely at odds with the feel of the smaller formats.

Beautiful color saturation and skin tone renditions, Ignacio! What software did you use to color grade the negative?

And sync sound! Are you sending a reference 1000Hz tone to your Walkman Pro?

You are the consummate practitioner of the legendary ZC1000. Bravo!

Thanks for your words (could you kindly copy and past your commetary in Vimeo?). The software for colour grading is Adobe Premiere. The tape cassette is the Sony Walman WM-D6C Stereo, WITHOUT PULS SYNC, only using the FTS cord with the ZC1000. Thanks again.

My favorite thing about the sound (apart from the near perfect synk!) is that the character of the analogue tape really compliments the look of small format film!

I find it really strange that so many people shooting super8 choose to pair it up with perfectly mastered high bit rate digital audio which seems completely at odds with the feel of the smaller formats.

I agree with you. By this, I always record the sound with the Sony Walkman, and using Fuji cassettes of course! Many thanks for your words. Could you kindly copy and past your commetary in Vimeo?.

Thanks for your words (could you kindly copy and past your commetary in Vimeo?). The software for colour grading is Adobe Premiere. The tape cassette is the Sony Walman WM-D6C Stereo, WITHOUT PULS SYNC, only using the FTS cord with the ZC1000. Thanks again.

Hi Ignacio

Very nice quality, but I wish I could have seen a reversal copy on one of your Super 8 projectors.

What is an FTS cord and how do you connect this so that it runs the Sony Walkman?

Hi Ignacio

Very nice quality, but I wish I could have seen a reversal copy on one of your Super 8 projectors.

What is an FTS cord and how do you connect this so that it runs the Sony Walkman?

Thanks for your comment, dear Stig. I bought my main FTS cord in Fuji Film Spain, in Barcelona, many years ago, but in 2006 I was able to get other cable, as spare, when visiting Tokyo I went to Retro8, the famous japanese lab owned by Tak Kohyama. The FTS (Film Tape Sync) is pluggled into the tape recorder and the ZC1000 tape control socket on the back of the grip. When the ciné camera' s shutter release buttom is depressed, then, film and tape run together to record sound and picture simultaneously. Similar cables can be DYS made, and I have seen ZC's sockets changed for standard mini jacks

Thanks for your comment, dear Stig. I bought my main FTS cord in Fuji Film Spain, in Barcelona, many years ago, but in 2006 I was able to get other cable, as spare, when visiting Tokyo I went to Retro8, the famous japanese lab owned by Tak Kohyama. The FTS (Film Tape Sync) is pluggled into the tape recorder and the ZC1000 tape control socket on the back of the grip. When the ciné camera' s shutter release buttom is depressed, then, film and tape run together to record sound and picture simultaneously. Similar cables can be DYS made, and I have seen ZC's sockets changed for standard mini jacks

Thanks for your answer, Ignacio.

Then there is little hope but to look for it on ebay. I tried to contact Retro 8 recently for developing but Retro8 does not answer e-mail, and I've tried to phone them a few times but no answer. (Are they still in business?) I got excellent help through Fuji Europe, in Gremany instead. I think I will ask them.

I still don´t see where to connect the cable on the standard Sony, unless it is remodeled for external sync like the one by Gebuhr. ( Then we have two odd contacts, who said it should be easy? :-o

Thanks for your answer, Ignacio.

Then there is little hope but to look for it on ebay. I tried to contact Retro 8 recently for developing but Retro8 does not answer e-mail, and I've tried to phone them a few times but no answer. (Are they still in business?) I got excellent help through Fuji Europe, in Gremany instead. I think I will ask them.

I still don´t see where to connect the cable on the standard Sony, unless it is remodeled for external sync like the one by Gebuhr. ( Then we have two odd contacts, who said it should be easy? :-o

Dear Stig: Retro 8 is in bussines and going strong. One month ago they sent me a batch of 30 Fujichrome R25N single-8 cartridges (poliester stock), slitted from the very last master roll. About the FTS cord, in tape recorders with "remote" you can plug the cable here, but in the Sony WMD6 Professional a technician must do the special connection for this cable. CINEcerely, Ignacio

Dear Stig: Retro 8 is in bussines and going strong. One month ago they sent me a batch of 30 Fujichrome R25N single-8 cartridges (poliester stock), slitted from the very last master roll. About the FTS cord, in tape recorders with "remote" you can plug the cable here, but in the Sony WMD6 Professional a technician must do the special connection for this cable. CINEcerely, Ignacio

Thank you for the information. I am using my last rolls of Fuji R25N right now, too, but will have to go without the sync sound. I have two Sony WMD6, one with Gebühr sync cable to DIN, but not to the ZC 1000 type of socket. I heard developing Fujichrome will end this fall. Lets CINEcerely hope other stocks will be available in singel 8 cassettes.

/Stig

What do you mean 'the last master roll'. Would that be the final R25. Or is Fuji going to manufacter a replacing product? On easier and cheaper standard material. Thickness is a bit of a problem. Fuji cartridges hold only 12 meter of other materials. Estar should be good though.

Retro8 seems near dead to most people here. Their website is simply not updated. Email remains unanswered. And not just mine, friends don't get reply either. He is simply not interested in selling.

I am glad I have a friend there who can ship small quantities of some needed items. Somebody ought to start an export website. As these Fuji goods in the street retail cost barely a third of the price of retro8 it shoudl be good business for anybody who has photo-film shop in Japan (and who speaks english :) ) Their wholesale makes it even much better. A simple webshop website isn't too difficult and Japan post works like Seiko-clockwork. People are too modest. Or is there some regulation against small-scale export and making a bit of money?

Edited by Andries Molenaar

Dear Andries, the "last master roll" means the very last 35 mm big roll of R25N (polyester stock) from which are slitted the 8 mm film to load the Single 8 cartridges. When this stock will be gone, R25N will be gone forever. But RETRO 8 sell in single 8 cartridges FRESH Fuji Velvia (the best reversal stock nowdays) and also Fuji Astia 100 and "push" 400. Also fresh Orwo B&W stock

Retro8's film price is not expensive.

Because it includes processing and shipping (2 time shipping: first time fresh film delivery to your home and second time processed film delivery)

Fuji process R25N now only once a month, but Retro8 process all the other stocks everyday.

The owner, Tak Kohyama is a very busy person.

He is also a TV producer. He travels around world every month.

He receives more than 100 emails a day.

If someone don't receive the answer for his email, please write again and

push.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Excuse me Ignacio, I still can't understand if it with my Fujica ZC1000 + Fujica tape control cord + generic cassette tape I can get the sound synchronized with the images, or I can just start simultaneous the camera and the tape, but still remains a small difference not in synchronization between image and sound.

Thanks for the reply! :)

Hi: if I shot with negative, the sync is made with the computer very fast. If I shot with reversal, with magnetic stripes, I transfer the sound to the tracks using the variable speed of the projector and starting again each few takes: a very slow process. CINEcerely, Ignacio