2001 Space Odyssey screening in London

Freya Black

Just a heads up for kubrick fans in London, Prince Charles showing 2001:

http://www.princecharlescinema.com/indexreview.php?display=1126&date=12:07:17&year=12&month=07&day=17

Not sure if it is a 35mm print tho or what? Might want to check with the cinema.

Just thought I would mention as I've not seen a cinema screening of this advertised before and while I'm not sure it will fit my schedule, I don't want anyone else to miss out.

They are also screening "the killing" on the big screen too (B&W Kubrick, not the danish thing!)

love

Freya

Just a heads up for kubrick fans in London, Prince Charles showing 2001:

http://www.princecharlescinema.com/indexreview.php?display=1126&date=12:07:17&year=12&month=07&day=17

Not sure if it is a 35mm print tho or what? Might want to check with the cinema.

Just thought I would mention as I've not seen a cinema screening of this advertised before and while I'm not sure it will fit my schedule, I don't want anyone else to miss out.

They are also screening "the killing" on the big screen too (B&W Kubrick, not the danish thing!)

love

Freya

Last time the Prince Charles Cinema screened it a month or two ago they couldn't get a 35mm print. But I thought it looked fantastic (at least good as the last 35mm print I saw if not better.)

Looking forward to The Killing.

Last time the Prince Charles Cinema screened it a month or two ago they couldn't get a 35mm print. But I thought it looked fantastic (at least good as the last 35mm print I saw if not better.)

I wrote to them and they confirmed they booked the print but that they did that last time and got a digital copy instead, so I guess that's why they are being careful not to say. I'm guessing it will be digital this time too.

They are also showing two Sergio Leone films!

love

Freya

Not even 2001 is sacred then. What a dreadful prospect. I knew I'd had it for new releases but I thought at least that the classics would still be available as proper film.

Looks like the studios aren't content with messing up the future, they're starting on the past as well.

• 1 year later...
Guest Jhanalay

Sorry, but if you think that a digital hard copy looked 'better' than a 35mm you must have failing eyesight. It looks clearer, but not better. Film is not supposed to look perfectly clear it's supposed to have grain and other distinct qualities. I find your comment and insult. I hate digital, it sucks. The Kubrick estate is taking the p*** by screening his films in that crap format.

• Premium Member

I've seen "2001" projected in theaters more times than most people here -- I've seen it projected in 70mm at least twelve times, and in 35mm scope prints at least six times, and lastly in a 2K DCP once.

This is one movie that is not supposed to have grain and softness, it's supposed to look very pristine, steady, and sharp. A good 70mm print is still by far the best way to see the movie, but I've rarely seen it look or sound decent in a 35mm scope print and the 2K DCP was slightly better than that as a viewing experience due to being sharp from edge to edge, and steady.

The biggest problem with the 2K DCP, besides being underwhelming compared to the 70mm viewing experience, is that you can see the patterning of strips of 3M material in the sky in the Africa sequence.

If the movie can't be shown in 70mm, it should be restored and shown in a 4K DCP, but I'm not so in love with 35mm scope projection that I'd prefer to see it that way, not this movie. It was not shot in 35mm anamorphic, it was shot in 65mm spherical, and scope projection is a let-down.

I would have seen it in 'scope the first time round, but being 8 probably didn't mind.

Didn't see it again until 1979 and not in 70mm. till the 90s.

Seeing it on New Year's Day 2001 in 70mm. at the NFT I consider a privilege, especially with two Kubricks in the audience and member's tickets only £3.50 each. Looks like I may not see it again.