Build open frames?

Ricardo Casco

Hello all, my name is Ricardo (Ricky). I'm in the process of building a truck in Houston, I'm starting to bring in gels and need some frames. I'm still considering just buying some matthews 4x4s, but I do like to build a lot of stuff myself.

What would you use to build an open frame? The material, dimensions, etc? Or would it be less trouble to buy them from matthews?

And what would normally be a good amount and size of frames to have for a 2ton?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, my name is Ricardo (Ricky). I'm in the process of building a truck in Houston, I'm starting to bring in gels and need some frames. I'm still considering just buying some matthews 4x4s, but I do like to build a lot of stuff myself.

What would you use to build an open frame? The material, dimensions, etc? Or would it be less trouble to buy them from matthews?

And what would normally be a good amount and size of frames to have for a 2ton?

Thanks!

If you can weld aluminium, thats what I would suggest for 4x4's

You could use wood as well with a screw in baby pin. They can last fairly long if well cared for (I am lucky if mine make it through one film :rolleyes: )

My feeling is that its better to buy them. I make them only in an emergency, when we have an unexpectedly large lighting setup in a location where ordering more in time is not an option .

• Premium Member

Part of the expense of frames is the shipping charges. You can buy 3/8" mild rolled steel pretty inexpensively and heat it with a torch to bend it into a standard shape and size, then make just one weld at the handle.Rosebrand.com sells all the fabrics for nets/flags/diffusion. I've made a bunch that way pretty affordably, including hiring somebody to do the sewing.