Do I need to convert lens to S16?

Hi, I recently purchased an Eclair ACL II w/ an Angenieux 10-150mm T 2.3 lens. I want to convert the camera to S16. Do I need to convert the lens to S16 as well, and how much that would cost if I did. The reason I ask is that I've seen some lenses listed as being usable for both regular 16 and Super 16 and I'm confused. If anyone could help me out I'd be much obliged.

Thanks,

Daniel

Hi- I don't know about specific conversions of that lens (I've never heard of anyone doing it to the 10-150, if it's even possible) but the folks at Visual Products, or Whitehouse AV, or a dozen other shops should be able to tell you with a quick phone call. If you use the lens as-is, you'll probably see vignetting from 10mm up to about 17-25mm (or so) before the image circle of the lens widens out to cover the entire super-16 frame.

Somebody here most likely has used that lens for super-16 and can verify at what point it stops vignetting...

• Premium Member

Here is a link for what lenses will work with S16:

http://www.cinematechnic.com/resources/opt...r_super-16.html

If I were you I would sell your 10-150 Angenieux and buy a Angenieux 15-150. It's not the greatest lens in the world but it does cover the whole area.

If you can afford it, try to buy a couple of S16 primes. They will be much sharper.

The Angenieux 15-150 will cover the whole S16 area. You can find them used on e-bay or from camera dealers starting at about $1,000. :)

The Angenieux 15-150 will cover the whole S16 area.  You can find them used on e-bay or from camera dealers starting at about $1,000. :)

I'm wondering how good is that lens?

I wanna know how does it compare to other Angenieux lenses?

It should be better than the Ang. 12-120...

Is it better than the 10-150?

Or the 17.5-70?

Or the 9.5-57?

Or the 9.5-95?

Or the 20-120?

Or the 25-240?

Normally most Angeniuex lenses from that era are slighty soft

And compare very badly with most modern lenses

But are there any good ones? Which one is the best?

I'm asking because was wondering if it is worth it getting the Ang. 15-150

Or should I go for a converted Ziess 10-100?

Thanks in advance

• Premium Member
I'm asking because was wondering if it is worth it getting the Ang. 15-150

Or should I go for a converted Ziess 10-100?

Thanks in advance

I would go with the converted Ziess 10-100. There are a couple of ways to convert the lens. The Optex conversion and the Ziess factory conversion. The Ziess conversion is better but about twice the cost of the Optex conversion. With the Ang. 15-150 you need to stop it down to about f8 although it depends on the condition of the lens.

I will have some definite answers within a month as I am in the process of testing

the Ang. 15-150, Ziess 10-100 as well as the full set of Optar Illumina primes.

I'll post the results when I am done testing. :)