Is there an affordable camer that...

Hi,

I've been reading through lots of topics about various DSLRs or video cameras but I have quite specific needs and I could really do with some more expert views about which camera might come closest. So, in order...

It would be nice if it could cost less than $10000... and really, cheaper the better.

It needs to take Nikon lenses with or without an adaptor.

Possibly most importantly for me, can the crop factor be as close to Super 35mm equivalent as possible (i.e. can my 24mm nikon lens stay as close to 24mm wide and not be cropped down to the equivalent of a 36mm or similar?)

I'm quite happy with 1080. I don't need anything higher res.

I'm also less concerned about very shallow DOF.

Anybody recommend something that would come close to ticking some/all of these boxes?

Thanks

• Premium Member

Is your real name actually "Camf"?

These are the registration rules:

You must register using your REAL NAME as your account's Display Name.

That means your first name, a space, then your last name. If you don't use your real name, or you register with a name that looks like your real name but we find out is not your real name, your account will be permanently disabled.

For a Super-35 sensor HD camera for under $1000 you'd have to look into an APS-C DSLR like a Canon T3i Rebel. The Nikon D5100 falls into that price range.

Ah... I hadn't noticed that. I signed in with my full name Cam Fraser but I think when I first registered I'd used Camf which I usually use without having seen the regulation about full name. I'll try and change it now.

Thanks

Is your real name actually "Camf"?

These are the registration rules:

For a Super-35 sensor HD camera for under $1000 you'd have to look into an APS-C DSLR like a Canon T3i Rebel. The Nikon D5100 falls into that price range.

• Premium Member

Sorted. Thanks David... not sure if it's just a misprint but it was less than $10 000 not $1 000. But thanks for the recommendations.

Though you can use adapters on some cameras (not sure about some of the issues regarding Nikon lenses though, I think some of them have unique problems going on other cameras) it may be simpler then to look at the Nikon D800. It's just under $3000 but once you kit it out with accessories to make it more like a video camera, you'll be hitting your limit.

• Premium Member

For less than 10,000 you have a few more options available to you. I'd be looking into the Sony FS100U myself as well as the new 700U from Sony (I think).

There is also the BlackMagic camera coming soon, though that's an odd one and a major crop

the Af101 (not my favorite, as I'm not a Panny guy generally)

And for a few $$ more you could go Scarlet or the F3.

I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting, but I'd be starting in those waters first with that kind of money to spend. Of course, the 10K is gonna disappear really fast once you start adding on recording media ect...

The FS100 is probably as much as I can spend but it would be nice to come in a bit lower than that. Cropping on the Black Magic is the only issue I have with it... great price though! Any DSLRs that could compete?

Cheers

Cam

For less than 10,000 you have a few more options available to you. I'd be looking into the Sony FS100U myself as well as the new 700U from Sony (I think).

There is also the BlackMagic camera coming soon, though that's an odd one and a major crop

I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting, but I'd be starting in those waters first with that kind of money to spend. Of course, the 10K is gonna disappear really fast once you start adding on recording media ect...

I'd second the Sony fs700. It can record slo-mo at 1080p @ 200fps and can even output it directly to an atomos samurai! Nice. It can be had cheaply stateside apparently too, and there is the possibility of a 4k upgrade there should you ever feel you might need that. You would of course need an adaptor for nikon lenses tho.

love

Freya

• Premium Member

What Vincent said. When you get to the prices of the "ok" DSLRs, you can get a much better proper camera, you know? I mean for the price of a 5dmkIII of a Nikon 800, you might as well just make the jump to a Fs100 or FS700 (Fs700 being my choice.)

Phil Rhodes did a nice little shoot on the FS700 recently:

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=56287&st=0&p=371254&hl=fs700&fromsearch=1entry371254

And it looks good enough for me for the price range.

Adapter for Nikkor lenses should be pretty cheap and what I like on the AF/FS type cameras is that you can also go PL when the job dictates.

Guest Christopher Sheneman

Forget what these fools are recommending, the hottest thing in digital video these days isn't. What am I talking about? Same thing all the kids on the streets of NYC, Milan, Paris and L.A. are talking about- it's called VHS-C and it is taking the scene BY STORM. Forget about spending $10,000, it's a $40 system and it rocks it with 220 lines of resolution. A lot of people are gonna knock it- but that's what haters do- hate.

This camera will get you l-a-i-d. Can you handle that?

post-54372-0-23265900-1338620286.jpg