Black Magic Cinema Camera

Albert Smith

2.5K RAW is first de-Bayered to 2.5k RGB. Different de-Bayer algorighms, working color spaces and bit depths yield different results (e.g., Resolve is not the same as Photoshop). In any event, the resulting resolution is something less than 2.5K.

Thanks Noel but it still leaves us with the same question.

What workflow would be the optimim to maintain the best resolution when debayering.

a)Straight debayer to 2.5K RGB then crop from there

b)Debayer to full 1920 and crop from there

c)Debayer to an unknown optimum size like maybe 2k or higher then crop from that position.

I prefer to do tests and use my eyes to make sure there is nothing obvious.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What workflow would be the optimim to maintain the best resolution when debayering.

a)Straight debayer to 2.5K RGB then crop from there

b)Debayer to full 1920 and crop from there

c)Debayer to an unknown optimum size like maybe 2k or higher then crop from that position.

I prefer to do tests and use my eyes to make sure there is nothing obvious.

The "optimum" workflow is an open question, and the answer is clearly not the same for everyone. The combinations and permutations stretch into the thousands. Arguments regarding the best approach will be endless.

All multifunction programs I know of will first de-Bayer to RGB. At that point, I would downsample to the highest resolution you can achieve without vingetting, and then crop.

In the case of Super 16 lenses, since they have different coverage areas, the amount of vingetting will vary from lens to lens. If the lens covers more than 1920x1080 (most will to some extent), you can crop less. Simarly, if you're shooting 2.40:1, you may not need to crop at all.

Obvious relatively low cost commercial choices which support sequential DNG files are Resolve, Lightroom, and After Effects. Resolve is free with the camera. Lightroom is the next lowest cost. After Effects is quite simply the most useful imaging program ever written. There are also a number of free solutions for the more technically inclined.

I wish there was just one answer, but there isn't. Test, test, test...

Cheers.

BMC is 15.60 x 08.80 mm

Super 16mm 12.52 x 07.41 mm

I want to debayer so I can crop the BMC image and maintain the best resolution and want a workflow that optimises that. I dont see why that needs lots of permutations.

It's pretty straight forward and comes with no added vignetting.

• 4 weeks later...

for all who are all right with the crop / loss, or whatever: i have to sell my 6mm and my 12mm Arri Zeiss Ultra16. (business runs shittyshitty baaad, rent ist shittyshitty high...)

got the 12mm on ebay. the 6mm goes for best offer only here... i ll keep the 8, 14, 25, 50, or the 6mm...hmmmm...

http://r.ebay.com/IwLNvu

so please help me out with a fair price for awesome glass

i am located in germany (NRW)

• 1 month later...

just sent you a

for all who are all right with the crop / loss, or whatever: i have to sell my 6mm and my 12mm Arri Zeiss Ultra16. (business runs shittyshitty baaad, rent ist shittyshitty high...)

got the 12mm on ebay. the 6mm goes for best offer only here... i ll keep the 8, 14, 25, 50, or the 6mm...hmmmm...

http://r.ebay.com/IwLNvu

so please help me out with a fair price for awesome glass

i am located in germany (NRW)

Hi Alexander I just sent you a PM

• 2 months later...

Some cross pollination with the BMC user forum on the S16 lens coverage issue. Someone just posted that they have tested coverage for a full set of 16mm (S16) MKIII Zeiss primes. Confirming (pictures to come) what most of us had assumed from the image circle data. There is a really nice frame grab with a 16mm format Zeiss SS 12nn at the top of this thread, showing the vignette and the loss of illuminance at the corner.

http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?4473-Zeiss-Arriflex-16-12-T1-3

Edited by Gregg MacPherson