Canon 16x Manual Zoom Lense for XL

Landon D. Parks

Hello all! I have a few questions for you (Whats new?):

#1: How does the lense perform? Does it have a fairly nice image quality?

#2: If I open the f stop all the way, what kind of Minimum focus am I looking at? I understand it is a zoom lense and the focus will very depending on the focal length. But does anyone have a general scale? Like 5.6mm 0.5', 10mm 0.8' (Not to scale), ect. I want to be able to shoot around 35 - 50mm and still get a fairly shallow DOF.

I think I know what I'm talking about? Correct me if im wrong.

#3: Have any of you had any problems with this lense? As fare as image quality, ect?

It's really not a bad lens at all. It certainly doesn't have any image quality problems that I've noticed. I'm not too sure on the focus question, I'm afraid. I've never done any filmmaking work with it, always just A\V Production, and you don't tend to notice such things with that. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Landon, the 16x manual lens is my primary lens. It is very sharp and I use it with a Cine Tech follow focus a lot. Hand held it's great too. The zoom speed can be controlled on the XL2's hand grip, by the lens. Zoom speeds are 3 seconds at zoom speed 16 to about 36 second at zoom speed 1. My one complaint is that when you rack focus there is breathing, but you can cover it with a small move. Many zooms exhibit at least some breathing.

For filmmaking the 16x is much better than the 20x. Mechanical and hard stops for the focus and zoom. marking for focal length and distance. The 20x doesn't have any markings, it's all electro, so it's brushes, no mechanical stops.

I do have the 20x as well. The Optical Stabilization can be handy for long tele shots and for hand held stuff too. It is also longer in the tele end, which can be good for compression and longer reach. What's funny is that the 20x does not breathe.

Close focus on the 16x is about 46 inches at 86.4mm tele end and about 28 inches at the 5.4mm wide end.

Landon, the 16x manual lens is my primary lens. It is very sharp and I use it with a Cine Tech follow focus a lot. Hand held it's great too.

I do have the 20x as well...  It is also longer in the tele end, which can be good for compression and longer reach. What's funny is that the 20x does not breathe.

I too have been looking for more focal control in shooting with my XL1S, if I purchase a "16x manual lens, with a Cine Tech follow focus" what should I budget on average for a system like this? Also, if you don't mind, what are the primary and secondary benefits of this over the stock lens?

Could you please explain "Compression" in regards to the stock 20x telephoto lens? I currently use the XL2 20x lens on My XL1S.

Thank you.

Edited by D. Jason

• Premium Member
I too have been looking for more focal control in shooting with my XL1S, if I purchase a "16x manual lens, with a Cine Tech follow focus" what should I budget on average for a system like this? Also, if you don't mind, what are the primary and secondary benefits of this over the stock lens?
New equipment would run somewhere around $3,500-$4,000 USD for lens, follow focus, and support system. The benefits of the manual lens has been discussed in other threads here in cinematorgraphy.com.

New equipment would run somewhere around $3,500-$4,000 USD for lens, follow focus, and support system. The benefits of the manual lens has been discussed in other threads here in cinematorgraphy.com.

Thanks for the heads up regarding cost. It's a bit higher estimate than I had hoped for, such is life. Perhaps I should start a thread and look for a used one, maybe pay $1000.

As for the benefits of the manual lens, search for it. Got it, thanks.

Edited by D. Jason

• Premium Member
maybe pay $1000

Good luck. I'm in the market for a 16x manual lens to replace my 14x manual and can't seem to find a used one under $1,300. And that's just the lens. A used follow focus would run about $1,700 with the support system. It's a pro setup that's not used much. So when someone buys this system, they seldom sell it. Also, if you consider a matte box, tag on anouther $1,000 for a good one and $175 for each filter. If I were you I'd budget the 16x manual lens and rent the follow focus and matte box when you need them.

• Premium Member

The Cine Tech Titanium II folllow focus is about $1500-$1700 new. It's really great and comes with a 10 inch whip. This allows an assistant to be next the camera and pull focus without disturbing the position of the camera, due to the whip's flexibilty.

I got a really great deal, from ZGC on a Chrosziel Matte box, bracket and rods for my XL2 and the Cine Tech also. They're located in New Jersey. Talk to Chris in Sales.

Mark,

Which mattebox did you get? I'm looking to get a two stage Chrosziel but I'm wondering if two stages are enough?

Also I was going to buy the 16X manual but someone was just telling me that they were using macro EOS lenses with the EF adapter and felt that it offered far superior results. What are your thoughts on that?

Then again, with the HDX debuting at NAB, I may wait before I purchase anything else for this camera.

Matt

• Premium Member

Matt, I got the 44-01 DV Sunshade, XL2 bracket and 15mm rods. Two stages seem to be enough, I can probably get a third stage and screw it on myself, if I needed it. With the EOS lenses, you get a 7X manification, so any lens you put on there will be a telephoto. The EOS lenses are designed for a 35mm still photo frame, so you are extracting from the very center of the image circle.

If you have an XL1S/XL2, the 16x is the lens to get, in my opnion. I do Low budget TV and indy films and have had excellent results. I also own the 20x lens, but primarily use the 16x.